Windows Embedded CE 6.0 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everybody. I'm currently working on 140cm humanoid PC-based robot. It's got Via Nano-ITX inside, so I was wondering what kind of OS could be installed there. I don't think that Microsoft Windows XP license claims that the OS could be installed on anything other than a personal computer, so I looked out for other operating systems. I've read about Windows Embedded Compact Edition (CE) which is a real-time operating system, that supports .NET Compact Framework, so I guess it should be able to run our MSRS services, right? The developers kit costs around $1000, and around $10 for every license. Does that mean that I can purchase the develoeprs kit, create OS images with robotics software, and then just stick the $10 licenses on future robots...? Oh and do I have to purchase Visual Studio 2005? Anybody got any experience with WinCE on x86?

Thanks.
    Tuesday, July 1, 2008 1:18 PM

Answers

• I doubt that anyone outside of Microsoft will comment on their licensing policies. It certainly SEEMS like it would be allowed. Would the licensing cost of WinXP be a deal-breaker ?

I understand your trepidation about a real time OS. However, XP or XPe running MSRS may prove to be real-time ENOUGH. It depends on the application.

Monday, July 7, 2008 6:58 PM

All replies

• I developed services for an eBox 2300 using the Compact Framework. The code is included in Chapter 16 of our ProMRDS book. The development process is similar for a PDA.

You should be able to get an evaluation version of the developers kit that will work for 90 (120?) days. That will give you a chance to test your code and find out how to develop MRDS services without paying for it. However, if it is a commercial robot then you will have to buy the software eventually.

You will need a full version of Visual Studio because the Express Editions do NOT support the Compact Framework.

I wrote my code using VS2005 because VS2008 had not been released. However, I don't see any reason why you could not use VS2008 and it makes more sense to use the new version.

The biggest problem I found with the eBox was CPU speed. Things that you might do on a normal PC just take too much time (or maybe memory) on an embedded PC.

Good luck,

Trevor

Wednesday, July 2, 2008 12:35 AM
  • I have a paintball shooting 1/6 scale Tiger tank that uses a VIA ITX board as the brains. It runs MSRS 1.5 under plain old Windows XP. The operating system runs from compact flash card (using the enhanced write filter) instead of a hard disk. It may not be ideal for high volume production but it's good for prototyping.
    Wednesday, July 2, 2008 6:07 PM
  • Wow! That is really cool! Can you post some photos somewhere?

If at all possible, I would recommend running XP rather than Windows CE. It is just a lot easier to get working.

Trevor

Thursday, July 3, 2008 3:55 AM
  • Sure. Here's a good shot:

http://home.comcast.net/~dwconn404/RCTank/Tiger/TigerImages/TigerCompleteSmall1-2Annotated.JPG

I have a site that describes the tank's construction. The site is a little out of date but you can still get the idea. Take a look at http://home.comcast.net/~dwconn404/RCTank/Tiger/TigerOverview.htm

You may also enjoy our club site. www.rctankcombat.com

Thursday, July 3, 2008 4:36 AM
  • Okay, thanks for the replies.

Another problem of not using Windows XP on the VIA Nano-ITX is that the motors and encoders will be directly connected to the motherboard through a kind of PCI card with slots for it, and the vendors recommend using a real-time operating system for working with them. And BTW, this is a commercial project, so nobody answered if I could actually use Windows XP in purposes like this.

Thanks.
    Thursday, July 3, 2008 12:12 PM
  • I doubt that anyone outside of Microsoft will comment on their licensing policies. It certainly SEEMS like it would be allowed. Would the licensing cost of WinXP be a deal-breaker ?

I understand your trepidation about a real time OS. However, XP or XPe running MSRS may prove to be real-time ENOUGH. It depends on the application.

Monday, July 7, 2008 6:58 PM