Help with Cascading More Than 2 Level Autocomplete in Data Grid RRS feed

• Question

• Following the helpful tutorials by Beth Massi and others(trust me, I've read them all), I was able to get partially there with autocomplete filtering.

I have gotten this to work on two dropdown levels but that's it. There is no tutorial that really touches deeper relationships than two. Here is the basics.

Customer Table

Locations(Customer can have many)

Order Table

Trip Table (Order can have many) (Trip must have a Location)

(Customer can have multiple addresses. Trips can be entered in the order as delivery routes)

To enter a trip, I need to select Customer type(CustomerTable), which does filters the customer.

CustomerName(CustomerTable) is selected, and it does filter Locations(LocationsTable).

(The automatically created autcomplete box in the screen for Locations by default I believe just shows the first item in the table which happens to be Address, so I don't even know if I'm filtering properly in the end to go any further.)

I am fine until here. after the Address(Location) is selected, I need to display the city field, and zip field. I have tried every which way but Sunday and can't figure out the required Query and bindings.

I am new to much of this so sorry if I shorted any details, if I can provide anything further for some insight please let me know.

MUST........UNDERSTAND.......QUERIES! :-)

Wednesday, February 11, 2015 3:56 AM

All replies

• Images are always helpful.

So Type is a choice list in the Customer table.

Customers is an automatically created relational autocomplete box.

Location is an automatically created relational autocomplete box.

City Result should be the city of selected Location...

I have tried binding Id, and also City as a parameter string to the Location query but no luck...I feel like I'm missing something really dumb!

• Edited by MrGlimm Wednesday, February 11, 2015 7:47 AM
    Wednesday, February 11, 2015 7:45 AM
  • Bump for specific question.

How do I query the property within a table that matched the previous selection Id?

(All the tutorials only show tables with one property in it)

I am trying to bind a Location table query CityBySelectedLocation, to the Id of the LocationByCustomer query, and filter City = City (property)

but it isn't working.

• Edited by MrGlimm Thursday, February 12, 2015 1:29 AM
    Thursday, February 12, 2015 1:29 AM
  • Hi man, any more update?
    Monday, February 16, 2015 9:50 AM
  • I had found in this case, I needed to make use of the "Other Screen Data" when adding a field to the Data Grid.

Since my autocomplete boxes help choose the id record for the Location (Address) of the Customer, simply adding Other Screen Data and binding to Trip.SelectedItem.Location.City, and another for Trip.SelectedItem.Location.Zip respectively.

I did not need additional queries for each field.

• Proposed as answer by joshbooker Wednesday, February 25, 2015 2:02 PM
    • Edited by MrGlimm Thursday, February 26, 2015 4:36 AM
    Monday, February 23, 2015 4:44 AM