none
VS2013 Unable to Attach Debugger - Unexpected Error

General discussion

• Hi,

I'm attempting to debug an Azure Web App for an issue that is incurred in Azure but not in Visual Studio. In Visual Studio 2013, viewing Cloud Explorer, I have opened Web Apps to view the relevant app in Azure, then when I right-click on the relevant app name and select Attach Debugger the following message is shown:

"Cloud Explorer has encountered and unexpected error:

The requested action could not be completed.

Details: Package 'Windows Azure Web Sites tooling package' failed to load."

(Incidentally, the same message appears if selecting "View Streaming Logs" instead.)

I have not been able to find any assistance online in relation to this message.

What do I need to do to resolve this to be able to debug my Web App in Azure?

Monday, September 26, 2016 8:02 AM

All replies

• Hi Lloyd_Conrade,

According to your description, I install the Cloud Explorer for Visual Studio 2013 and the connect to Azure try debug a Web app. No matter I right-click to choose Attach Debugger or choose View Streaming Logs, everything works fine.

I'm using Visual Studio 2013 with Update 5 and installed Visual Studio Azure Tools and SDK 2.9. According to the error message, there has any problem when loading the Azure Web Site tooling package, please check whether you have installed the latest Update 5 and Azure Tools and SDK 2.9 for your Visual Studio.

In addition, since the Cloud Explorer is a extension for Visual Studio 2013, in order to exclude the affect from Cloud Explorer extension, I suggest you uninstall and reinstall it. And then try the Attach Debugger again.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, September 27, 2016 5:44 AM
  • Thanks very much, Weiwei, for your response.

Yes, I am also using Visual Studio 2013 with Update 5 and Microsoft Azure Tools with SDK 2.9.

In VS2013, I have clicked on Tools > Extensions and Updates, and uninstalled the latest version of Cloud Explorer (1.0.608....) closed Visual Studio, rebooted the PC, reopened VS, and it was showing an earlier version of Cloud Explorer (1.0.60517.8) was still installed. Attempting to uninstall that version by the same method produced no results. And I still received the same error message in attempting to attach the debugger.

I have run a repair on Microsoft Azure Tools, rebooted the PC, and retried attaching the debugger. I still have received the same error message as before.

I am now attempting to uninstall Microsoft Azure Tools for MS Visual Studio 2013 v2.9.  I will reboot and let you know the results.

Thanks for your help.

Tuesday, September 27, 2016 6:04 AM
  • I have now uninstalled both Microsoft Azure Tools for MS VS2013 v2.9 and Microsoft Azure App Service Tools VS2013 v2.9.1.

At that point, Visual Studio 2013 still had Cloud Explorer installed but without the functionality to access Web Apps.

I rebooted and have installed Microsoft Azure SDK for .Net 2013 v2.9.5, which includes MS Azure Tools and MS Azure App Service Tools.

I have attempted once again to attach my Web App from within Cloud Explorer and I receive the same error message as per my first post: Package 'Windows Azure Web Sites tooling package' failed to load.

I'm not sure what else to do at this point.  Hoping there is something else that someone could recommend apart from the last resort action of a total uninstall and reinstall of VS2013 and all subsequent associated software.

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 12:24 AM
  • Hi Lloyd_Conrade,

Since all related SDK and extensions are have been reinstalled, I suggest you try repair your Visual Studio 2013 to check whether there has any issue on your Visual Studio installation.

And please close all third part software when running Visual Studio, such as antivirus, which may cause some issue about assembly loading.

In addition, please check the ActiveLog.xml under the path of %AppData%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0. This file will log all operations when you operate Visual Studio. Whether there has any other error information about which assembly load failed.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 2:14 AM
  • Hi Weiwei,

Sorry for the delay in responding. I have had a hardware failure with my laptop computer on which I was developing with Visual Studio. I have had to temporarily revert to an old laptop, too old to run the Visual Studio 2013. If the hardware can be repaired then I can continue where I was last at. If not, then I will seek to recover the hard drive and commence again on a new computer with new installation, in which case I may not incur the same initial problem that we have been discussing above. Either way, I must put this matter on hold for the time being until I can get an outcome regarding the possibility of hardware repairs.

For the purposes of thoroughness, however, the following is what I have done since my last posting on this matter:

I was unable to locate a file called ActiveLog.xml anywhere on my computer, even in the location suggested, and even with the file search including hidden files. Therefore, I was unable to locate any further information about which assembly load failed.

I conducted a repair of Visual Studio 2013. However, after repairing and rebooting, I continued to incur the same error message and still could not attach the remote debugger.

After that point I incurred the hardware failure and have been unable to progress further. 

If possible, I would like to leave this matter open on this forum for further potential progress once I can get an outcome on the separate hardware issue, at which point the original issue may be outstanding, or in the case of new hardware and a newly installed Visual Studio, it's possible that the original issue may no longer be incurred and this may become a moot issue.

Either way, thanks very much, Weiwei, for your assistance on this to date.

Cheers,

Lloyd

Monday, October 3, 2016 11:12 PM
  • Hi Lloyd,

I'm sorry for hear that.

Since your have a hardware failure, and this issue need to continue until the hardware failure repaired. I help you change this question to General Discussion. After your hardware failure issue fixed, please feel free to come back to change this thread back to Question. Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Wednesday, October 5, 2016 3:07 AM