none
What versions of PowerPoint create colors1.xml and styles1.xml files? RRS feed

• Question

• Could I find out if  'colors1.xml' and 'styles1.xml' files are created only if you use a given version of powerpoint? or a given os? e.g. windows, mac. 

'colors1.xml' and 'styles1.xml' files are created when a user creates a chart within their powerpoint, the files are found here '/ppt/chart/'.

I have spoken to a lot of people about these files and received mixed results, some say they have it whilst others don't. I want to better understand the behaviour and need for these files. 

Thanks.

• Edited by mszbot Thursday, July 18, 2019 10:49 PM typos
    Thursday, July 18, 2019 5:35 PM

All replies

• Hi mszbot,

Thanks for the question about the colors and styles part in PowerPoint OPC packages. I will get back to you with an answer shortly. 

Best regards,
    Tom Jebo
    Sr Escalation Engineer
    Microsoft Open Specifications

Thursday, July 18, 2019 10:42 PM
  • Hi mszbot,

The chartStyle and colorStyle elements used in the colors and styles chart parts in PresentationML can be found in the drawing extension specification [MS-ODRAWXML] section 2.8.1.1 and 2.8.1.2: 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/openspecs/office_standards/ms-odrawxml/e33978b1-4479-4755-8fc2-d8ac634cc28c

These are available in Office 2013 and later versions. The behavior notes in those two sections identifies only Office 2013 but they should be available in later version as they are used in the latest Office versions. I will confirm and then get these updated to reflect the correct versions.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,
    Tom Jebo
    Sr Escalation Engineer
    Microsoft Open Specifications

Thursday, July 18, 2019 11:30 PM
  • Hi Tom, 

Thanks for the speedy reply, much appreciated. 

This makes sense, I'm on the latest windows machine and I see these files. 

Does this mean that mac users don't see these files? Is it only Office 2013+ users who see these files?

Again, thank you for looking into this.

FYI - I couldn't login into mszbot for some reason so I had to create a new profile.

Thanks.

• Edited by mszbot1 Friday, July 19, 2019 10:51 AM
    Friday, July 19, 2019 10:42 AM
  • Hi mszbot1, 

This does not mean that Mac or other application implementations will not see these parts. The [MS-OI29500] implementation notes are part of the Open Specifications documentation and describe implementation notes for ISO/IEC 29500 file format. However, the scope for these documents is only the ones listed in the behavior or implementatoin version sections, specifically for this context: 

1.3 Microsoft Implementations
    Microsoft Excel 2010
    Microsoft Excel 2013
    Microsoft Excel 2016
    Microsoft Excel 2019
    Microsoft PowerPoint 2010
    Microsoft PowerPoint 2013
    Microsoft PowerPoint 2016
    Microsoft PowerPoint 2019
    Microsoft Word 2010
    Microsoft Word 2013
    Microsoft Word 2016
    Microsoft Word 2019

So Mac versions and others are not covered. To find out more about Mac and mobile versions, I would recommend posting to our Office technet forums. 

Thanks, 

Tom

Saturday, July 20, 2019 3:02 AM