none
Packaging Windows Store App using C# RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to package a windows store app dynamically using the Packaging API and/or its equivalent. I found the below sample in C++.

http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/Appx-Packaging-API-Create-48062876/sourcecode?fileId=42776&pathId=961581935

Can anyone tell me
    1. if there is an equivalent version for C#?
    2. which is the dll to be referenced for Packaging API in a C# project

Thanks...

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 9:11 AM

Answers

• Hi gak47,

There isn't a C# wrapper provided for the Packaging API, but you can create a Runtime Callable Wrapper to call them the same as you would call any other COM API from a .Net desktop application.

Another option would be to write your packaging code in a C++ DLL and then call that from your C# application.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by gak47 Thursday, February 14, 2013 3:35 AM
    Wednesday, February 13, 2013 9:34 AM

All replies

• Hi gak47,

There are a quite a few ways you can package the app. If you are not set on one particular way to package it, then have a look at the following site, Packaging your Windows Store app using visual Studio 2012. Additionally the site, Windows Store app samples, has all the samples that are available for Windows 8. I hope this helps but let us know if you have other questions.

Thanks,

Jesse

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 10:48 PM
  • Hi Jesse,

I should have been clearer in my question.
    I am working on a tool which takes in a set of resources (online and local) and outputs a particular package for the end users to deploy. I am trying to include Windows Store Package as one of the output options for them and was looking at creating the App package dynamically. 

I found out about the Packaging API (sample of which is here - http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/Appx-Packaging-API-Create-48062876/sourcecode?fileId=42776&pathId=961581935) which suits my purpose but unfortunately couldn't find a way to do this C#.I wanted to know if there is a C# equivalent or a C# way of packaging it.

In essence I am trying to emulate the Visual Studio Packaging Sequence of steps(but with fewer steps and some defaults).

Hope this clarifies.

Thanks

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 3:05 AM
  • Hi gak47,

There isn't a C# wrapper provided for the Packaging API, but you can create a Runtime Callable Wrapper to call them the same as you would call any other COM API from a .Net desktop application.

Another option would be to write your packaging code in a C++ DLL and then call that from your C# application.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by gak47 Thursday, February 14, 2013 3:35 AM
    Wednesday, February 13, 2013 9:34 AM
  • Thanks for the information Rob.
    I am looking the steps for creating a RCW and hopefully it turns out to be easy.

Thursday, February 14, 2013 3:35 AM