none
Built-in function to reduce size of picture? RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a built-in function to reduce the size of the picture for faster downloads (2KB is pretty big)?  Or, alternatively what is the best way to deal with a picture that has unneeded or excessive resolution (such as 2400 ppi).   Thanks. /Howard
    Friday, December 3, 2010 3:04 PM

Answers

• IMO, there's no better tool to use for this than a true graphics editor. I process and optimize all images destined for Web use, resizing and resampling as needed, to the exact dimensions required for the particular application, before I ever bring it into the working Web.

That way I get optimally prepared images that are ready for immediate use as is, so all that is necessary in EW is to link to them and they're good to go, with correct dimensions and already optimized. I've never seen a Web editor yet that could equal Photoshop in power and capability, although if PS isn't in your budget there are less expensive, or even free, editors such as Paint.net or the GIMP that you can use, and that are still better tools for image optimization than a Web editor.

Again, this is just my personal opinion, and workflow, and others may work differently. But, if you want the best quality and the best optimization for your images, I would recommend that you prepare them before you bring them into EW, not after.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    • Marked as answer by Howard_J Saturday, December 4, 2010 2:14 AM
    Friday, December 3, 2010 4:04 PM

All replies

• IMO, there's no better tool to use for this than a true graphics editor. I process and optimize all images destined for Web use, resizing and resampling as needed, to the exact dimensions required for the particular application, before I ever bring it into the working Web.

That way I get optimally prepared images that are ready for immediate use as is, so all that is necessary in EW is to link to them and they're good to go, with correct dimensions and already optimized. I've never seen a Web editor yet that could equal Photoshop in power and capability, although if PS isn't in your budget there are less expensive, or even free, editors such as Paint.net or the GIMP that you can use, and that are still better tools for image optimization than a Web editor.

Again, this is just my personal opinion, and workflow, and others may work differently. But, if you want the best quality and the best optimization for your images, I would recommend that you prepare them before you bring them into EW, not after.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    • Marked as answer by Howard_J Saturday, December 4, 2010 2:14 AM
    Friday, December 3, 2010 4:04 PM
  • Expression Design comes with EW 3-4 and is a graphics editor. You could use it to reduce the size. Chris Leeds likes it but I've always used Fireworks (okay only for the last 11 years but that's probably two or three lifetimes in web usage.)
    MS MVP Expression Tutorials & Help http://by-expression.com & Expression Web forums
    Friday, December 3, 2010 5:22 PM
  • Very good point, Cheryl. I don't know why I always forget to mention ED for these kinds of questions. I suppose that it's because I've used Adobe graphic editors since PS 5.5 and Illy 9.01, and still do. I've only experimented a little with ED, and while it's no Photoshop or Illustrator, it's still a competent editor that can do the job for this purpose.

And, of course, it comes with EW and the price is right...  ;-)

cheers,
    scott

Friday, December 3, 2010 5:46 PM
  • Yes,  I have PS and that's apparently the good ole standby.  Thanks!
    Saturday, December 4, 2010 2:15 AM
  • While this question has been sufficiently answered there is another graphics program worth a mention on account of its low cost and ready availability at retail. That is Adobe Photoshop Elements which is the lightweight little brother of PS. It lacks many of PS's high end features but has what appears to be the same features for image size and save for web functions. It provides for full control over image type and compression. It seems more advanced than ED to me and has more photography related features. At only 80.00 US ( and cheaper if you shop) it seems worth a look at least. It is easy to learn compared to PS.

I have PS but recommended PSE to someone and from what I can see there is little difference as it relates to most web design work issues. In less then an hour he was making optimized web images and animated GIF's as well.   

Saturday, December 4, 2010 11:33 AM