none
2 challenges per month for 2017 , what's your opinion ? RRS feed

• General discussion

• I would like to start a discussion, have your opinions.

here's what I would suggest for the year 2017 in the Small Basic forum.

We all know that every month we have our challenge of the month.

The rules of the challenge are clear, no extension, just plain Small Basic.

My proposal would be as follows:

What would happen if we would have 2 challenges per month, one, classic without extension, and the other with the use of extensions ( LitDev, Fremy, and others ).?

What do you think of this idea?
    Tuesday, December 27, 2016 6:08 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• I'm happy for any challenges you want and will make them sticky for the month, but I will keep the ones I come up with to remain no extensions - they are really about core programming skills, not being power extenion users.

There could also be a challenge to write a small extension to do something.  There are often small requests to extend bits in LD extension which I usually do because its either quick and easy or harder but interesting (fun and I learn something new), but there is no reason why people cannot start to write their own to do exactly what they want.  If these evolve we could even start a community extension maintained on GitHub?

This is why all of the LD extension is completely open source.  Most features are pretty simple, just leveraging one of the many .Net capabilities and me or others would be happy to help the community write your own, which is really the point of extensions!

Tuesday, December 27, 2016 6:41 PM
  • @litdev

Hi !

I like your idea of writing a small extension to do something,

for example , if i write a program in small basic v1.2 plain, to compute the monthly payment on a car , would it be possible to write a small extension like this:

loan: P=25,000

month: n=60

interest rate: i=(0,5% year)/12

Monthly payment calculation formula on Wikipedia is:    

the extension may look like this:

LD.finance.payment( P,n,i)

the return value is A in this case : $ 421,98 ( monthly car payment)

and how we do that ? in C language ?

Thanks !

this was my program on the forum in 2016

'program by Yled
    'to compute auto loan amount and monthly payment
    'program no : XKB866

• Edited by YLedEditor Wednesday, December 28, 2016 2:56 PM
    Wednesday, December 28, 2016 2:42 PM
    Answerer
  • Yes this would be possible - do some searches and getting started guides writing extensions.  Enough info is out there and part of the skill is finding how to do stuff - no-one knows everything out the box.
    Wednesday, December 28, 2016 3:56 PM
  • This is pretty much what I think.

https://mva.microsoft.com/en-US/training-courses/c-fundamentals-for-absolute-beginners-16169?l=N9J5qLRIC_7806218949

Using internet properly is a fundamental skill in programming.

Wednesday, December 28, 2016 5:06 PM
  • Hi evryone,

my english is verry bad, so i hope it is understandable what i think.

For beginner it is good firstly to write programs in standard of small Basic.

But when the time is comming to use extention. It gives challenge you can not do whithout extention.

I love the extention from litdev and i hope some day the sandard have this possibilities.

Thanks for all extention. Happy new year and

Best Regards Martin

Wednesday, December 28, 2016 6:01 PM
  • @litdev

Thanks for the link: i have watch the video, very interesting !

i found this article very interesting on Technet Wiki:

Small Basic: How to Create an Extension Using C#

Wednesday, December 28, 2016 8:46 PM
    Answerer
  • @litdev

Using internet properly is a fundamental skill in programming

Yes you'r right,

when i want to create a program that contain a math formula fro example , i will start first searching on Wikipedia.

and i will use the formula that is on Wikipedia , but always in corroborating with a University web site.

Wednesday, December 28, 2016 8:50 PM
    Answerer
  • Yes Liam's is a good link - the key is to look at lots of stuff - don't assume anything is the best way.

Just like SB forum - some answers are better than others - or more appropriate to whoever is reading them - so seeing a lot of different answers helps get a feeling for what may be the best way forward.

Wednesday, December 28, 2016 8:56 PM