What do you get? RRS feed

• Question

• There is no information on what I get for my $49.

Are there help files? Do these cover project directories, library inclusions, etc? Do these cover language elements? What help files are included, and what do they cover?

Do I get any documentation? Manuals? Is there any printed materials?

Does a help file compiler come with my app?

Is there a distribution application, such as InstallShield?

When you download your Express compiler, do you get an installing executable that I can save onto a CD? Or do I get an internet link?

Am I entitled to upgrades? Patches?

How long is the license for? Is it indefinate? Or is an annual license that has to be renewed each year?

How long will support be around, before the current version goes obsolete? Will there be tech support if I don't want to upgrade to version 2007?

Do I get tech support from technicians? Or is the tech support limited to forums like these where answers come slowly, if at all?

Are there fees for telephone tech support?

I want an answer to each of these questions. No answer to any one question = no sale.

"Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition Beta 2 may be the C++ entry point to the full power of Visual Studio 2005, but Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition isn't lacking in capability." 

Yeah, well, the description surely is lacking.

Thursday, November 3, 2005 10:12 PM

Answers

• Well I guess I'll have to try answer your questions then!

Are there help files?
    Yes.

Do these cover project directories, library inclusions, etc? Do these cover language elements? What help files are included, and what do they cover?
    They cover a set of language and IDE areas, and include some getting started content.  There are also lots of link in the built-in help to go to online docuemtnation/forums/etc. in case you can't find an answer in the built-in documentation.  There is also an option during download to install an extra 250MB of help files locally.

Do I get any documentation? Manuals? Is there any printed materials?
    There will be retail box versions of a the VWD Express and VB Express products which will include a book and some other printed materials. 

Does a help file compiler come with my app?
    I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for here, but I believe there is no limitation in the ability to create help files with the Express editions.

Is there a distribution application, such as InstallShield?
    There is an installation technology called ClickOnce which is included. 

When you download your Express compiler, do you get an installing executable that I can save onto a CD? Or do I get an internet link?
    You'll be able to get either a simple web installer, or a downloadable CD image.

Am I entitled to upgrades? Patches?
    When/if there are service packs, you will be able to get these.  Beyond that, we have no current plans to release "upgrades".  There are however a set of registration benefits you'll be entitled to after you register your Express product which  will grow over time.

How long is the license for? Is it indefinate? Or is an annual license that has to be renewed each year?The license is indefinite, just as any other product you would buy or download.

How long will support be around, before the current version goes obsolete? Will there be tech support if I don't want to upgrade to version 2007?
    There will be support for critical issues for at least 5 years after the product releases.

Do I get tech support from technicians? Or is the tech support limited to forums like these where answers come slowly, if at all?
    Tech support from Microsoft's Product Support Services will only be available for critical issues and installation blocking issues.  For further support, these forums, and many others on the Web contain or will conatin pertinent help from many folks in the community.

Are there fees for telephone tech support?
    Yes, there are fees for Product Support calls that fall outside the scope of issues mentioned above. 

Hopefully these answers have convinced you to give Express a try.  Definitely come back and take a look when we release the final product and websites next week!

Thanks,
    Luke Hoban
    Visual C# IDE Program Manager

Saturday, November 5, 2005 7:40 AM