none
How to show on screen keyboard in tablet mode? RRS feed

• Question

• I need to show on screen keyboard when a TextBox or other control gets focus. I made some research and it looks like there is no direct way to do this programmatically. The only solution is to start the following process:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ink\TabTip.exe

But even this is problematic because it requires elevated privileges. If I try to start the process using C# Process.Start() function, it fails. Is there a way to show on screen keyboard programmatically?

There is some information that support for "soft keyboard" was added in .NET 4.6.2, but I was not able to find a working example. There is no reference to a class or something in the announcement.

Saturday, March 21, 2020 4:49 PM

All replies

• You can access the on-screen keyboard from the system32 directory using Process.Start

%windir%\system32\osk.exe
    • Edited by scocia888 Saturday, March 21, 2020 5:42 PM
    Saturday, March 21, 2020 5:14 PM
  • Right. But this is not the same on screen keyboard.
    Saturday, March 21, 2020 7:12 PM
  • On my Windows 10 version (1803,  17134.1130), I can launch it without being Admin.

There is a known key

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\TabletTip\1.7

EnableDesktopModeAutoInvoke

which should be = 1, but it works even = 0..

Saturday, March 21, 2020 7:19 PM
  • In that case you are talking about the touch keyboard and not the on-screen keyboard, see the following:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/38774139/show-touch-keyboard-tabtip-exe-in-windows-10-anniversary-edition
    • Edited by scocia888 Saturday, March 21, 2020 7:58 PM
    Saturday, March 21, 2020 7:51 PM
  • Hi Aleksey,

Thank you for posting here.

You can also check if the solutions in the link below can help you open the keyboard.

Windows 10 Tablet Mode: Why doesn't winforms TextBox show the onscreen keyboard if getting the focus?

Implementing TextBox with on-screen touch keyboard

Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; Therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Best Regards,

Timon

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 23, 2020 2:12 AM