none
i cannot extend my c drive even though there is free space even i cant delete that free space to make it unallocated, please help me out..... RRS feed

• Question

• so the problem is i have only 15 GB in my c drive and its almost full and i have two more partitions that contain some of my files and i freed approx. 8 GB of space but it is marked in extended partition as free space and cant even delete that free space to make it unallocated so i am unable to extend my c drive 
    Sunday, January 24, 2016 7:12 AM

All replies

• there are basically 3 situations that "Extend Volume" will not work:

1.The partition users want to extend is not a NTFS partition. Microsoft says extending volume feature in Disk Management only works to a raw or NTFS partition.

2.There is no unallocated or free space on hard disk or the space is not contiguous and after the partition which needs extending.

3.Users want to extend a primary partition, but there is just a free space right after the target partition.

So you are in the situation 3. in this case, you need to move the free space out of extended partition. In Disk Management, you can delete all the logical partitions and then the free space will become unallocated space, which can be used to extend primary partition. To solve this without data loss: you shall find the steps here: move unallocated out of extended partition

• Edited by Acd_99 Monday, January 25, 2016 3:18 AM
    Monday, January 25, 2016 3:12 AM
  • There is a difference between free space and  unallocated space, I wonder if you confuse the two idea. Free space belongs to a partition, while unallocated space isn't allocated to any volume and can't be used.  So if you mean"free space", you should shrink the partitions to get unallocated space first, then you can extend C drive.  But, you cannot finish the job with disk management, because DM only merge two adjacent partition and the unallocated space must behind the another partition(the one need to be merged).  For you,  your partitions cannot meet the requirements. So I suggest you use a freeware, here AOMEI Partition Assistant is a good choice, which can help you merge partition without any restrictions.
    • Edited by xikim Tuesday, January 26, 2016 7:22 AM
    Tuesday, January 26, 2016 7:21 AM