Datagrid is the performance problem... RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

after making some tests i have found out that the greatest speed brake is the datagrid. I have changed all the grids (5) in my screen to only a list and it is much faster.
    After that I have change the datagrid to the ComponentOne Lightswitch Grid and it is also a lot faster (also with the infragistics LS grid)

why is the build in datagrid so much slower?

to use the ComponentOne Lightswitch Grid is a problem because of some
    missing functionality :-(

• Changed type Yann DuranModerator Thursday, December 6, 2012 2:21 AM No question involved
    • Changed type Yann DuranModerator Thursday, December 6, 2012 2:33 AM The question was right there in bold (I missed it the first time)
    Wednesday, December 5, 2012 9:36 PM

Answers

• Hello from ComponentOne,

I just wanted to drop a note to let you know that we have run your FlexGrid for LightSwitch issues through QA and these are the results (in the order they are listed above):

1. This has been registered as a bug and will be fixed in an upcoming release.
    2. Date formats seems to be localized correctly.
    3. This issue is fixed in the version we released yesterday. (C1 Studio for LightSwitch Download Page - login required)
    4. We didn't see this behavior, but we may not understand the issue completely.
    5. Try dd.MM.yy.

Feel free to contact me at danb@componentone.com if you would like to discuss further.

Dan Beall | Product Manager | ComponentOne

• Edited by Yann DuranModerator Monday, December 17, 2012 4:36 AM Fixed link text
    • Marked as answer by Angie Xu Thursday, December 20, 2012 1:32 AM
    Friday, December 14, 2012 3:16 PM

All replies

• Thanks for posting your results here, it is very useful to know.

The LS grid is based off the standard Silverlight grid as far as I know and I've not seen any performance issues mentioned with that one.

There is another thread on the forum where the Excel export functionality impacted performance - I assume you may have tried to disable that?

Can you please elaborate on what functionality, specifically, you are missing in the ComponentOne and Infragistics LS grids? This will be helpful to those that might consider these other grids as alternatives.

Regards

Xander

Thursday, December 6, 2012 1:02 AM
  • Hi,

after some text here are the results (it might be interesting for someone - also the LS Team about the Datagrid):

LS Datagrid:

• if you have more than 5 columns (I have tables with up to 10) and more than 20 rows the Datagrid becomes slow
      I cannot understand this because this are no special requirements to a grid
      if you use then 3,4 grid on a screen with that requirements the whole screen loading takes seconds...
    • also if you have table with 10 columns (paging = 25) and after first load you scroll the columns horizontally it stumbles

Component One Grid (it is much faster but have a lot of bug's):

So now I'm standing here with a finished app which looks good, has all the functionality the user needs (office integration, charts, reports..) but the customer is very angry about the performance :-(

Summing up the biggest problems are:

I like lightswitch very much and the concept has a lot of power but for a LOB app performance is a very big factor - I hope that some of the LS team can help me or can tell me why there are so great performance problems on that 2 points...

Thursday, December 6, 2012 9:02 AM
  • Aloha Madrianr,

I have an LS standard datagrid that has 55 columns in it.  The screen replaced a complex spreadsheet that emulates a pivot.

Glad to show you via skype and even have you access one of our test sites during a screen share to run the client on your machine.

You already have my skype address and email.

As we discussed the problem is that we live on opposites sides of the world.

Garth Henderson - Vanguard Business Technology

Thursday, December 6, 2012 6:52 PM
  • Hello Garth,

now I'm out of office - it's 20:00 in Austria and I'm going out for a beer or Wine after a hard day with Lightswitch ;-)

how long does it take to load 45 rows into that grid?
    di you use LS 2011 or 2012?

robert

• Edited by Mad Rian Thursday, December 6, 2012 6:57 PM
    Thursday, December 6, 2012 6:57 PM
  • It takes about 9 seconds to load 15 pages in a grid with 15 rows per page.

Moving between pages takes about 2-3 seconds.

This is the slowest grid that I have - because it has so many fields on it.

It should be noted that almost all of the fields are editable on each row.

It is as fast to enter the data as a spreadsheet - plus there is validation on each field.

Keep in mind that these times are based on my client running in Hawaii and the web server/database is in St. Louis.  Times would be much faster on an Intranet.   But we have several offices, no IT group, and off-the-shelf routers without any configuration.

I've been very pleased with the OOB Desktop client and am looking forward to having a universal HTML5 client that reaches every desktop, tablet, and phone.

Thursday, December 6, 2012 8:37 PM
  • Hello Garth,

I see, that these are special requirements and it doesn't compare to my solution
    In my app the users open a screen hundred times a day and every second they have to wait is annoying - what bothers me is the fact that these is a problem with the buld in LS grid because with a list (cannot use it with only one column) and with other grid controls it is a lot faster
    until now there is no response from the LS Team about my questions/problems about that fact :-(

There are alot of people having the same "performance" problems since Version 1...

robert

Friday, December 7, 2012 7:22 AM
  • Hello Garth,

I see, that these are special requirements and it doesn't compare to my solution
    In my app the users open a screen hundred times a day and every second they have to wait is annoying - what bothers me is the fact that these is a problem with the buld in LS grid because with a list (cannot use it with only one column) and with other grid controls it is a lot faster
    until now there is no response from the LS Team about my questions/problems about that fact :-(

There are alot of people having the same "performance" problems since Version 1...

robert

As fast as I have been able to get is about 2-3 seconds for a screen to respond back over the internet with a "normal" amount of business data.

I design LS screens differently than other technologies to take advantage of the strengths of LS and, as much as possible, minimize issues that are still problematic with LS.

Recently, I replaced a VB desktop app running with Terminal Services (which was written in 1998 era technology) with an LS app.   There was no way I could match the data access speed for the users with a web app.   However, I was able to give them better business functionality to make up for the loss of speed.   

With HTML5 and all device access, LS will allow us to provide significantly more business value.

Evolution is an uphill climb that is best achieved with global collaboration of our best efforts.

Friday, December 7, 2012 2:48 PM
  • Hello from ComponentOne,

I just wanted to drop a note to let you know that we have run your FlexGrid for LightSwitch issues through QA and these are the results (in the order they are listed above):

1. This has been registered as a bug and will be fixed in an upcoming release.
    2. Date formats seems to be localized correctly.
    3. This issue is fixed in the version we released yesterday. (C1 Studio for LightSwitch Download Page - login required)
    4. We didn't see this behavior, but we may not understand the issue completely.
    5. Try dd.MM.yy.

Feel free to contact me at danb@componentone.com if you would like to discuss further.

Dan Beall | Product Manager | ComponentOne

• Edited by Yann DuranModerator Monday, December 17, 2012 4:36 AM Fixed link text
    • Marked as answer by Angie Xu Thursday, December 20, 2012 1:32 AM
    Friday, December 14, 2012 3:16 PM
  • Hi Dan.

Nice to see a component vendor participating in the forum. Even more so to see them being so responsive & helpful.

Yann - LightSwitch Central - Click here for FREE Themes, Controls, Types and Commands

Please click "Mark as Answer" if a reply answers your question. Please click "Vote as Helpful" , if you find a reply helpful.

By doing this you'll help others to find answers faster.

Monday, December 17, 2012 4:33 AM
  • Hi robert

I will mark the reply as answer, if the marked answer is not helpful to solve your problem, please unmark and give quick response.

Regards

Angie xu
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, December 20, 2012 1:32 AM