Sharepoint sync and roaming profiles RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I really like the sync now feature in SharePoint online 365 however I noticed something with roaming profiles and this feature.

on my computer I synced a few libraries which totalled around 5Gig which is fine and very useful.

I logged into another Windows 8 PC and it took ages to log in which made me wonder what was going on.

Looked on the c:\users directory and in my profile folder. I saw that it has copied the whole of my sharepoint sync folders onto that computers c: drive.

This seems a bit of a problem as it means that nobody who roams around can make use of the sync feature as if they move computer it will take them 20 minutes to log in!

is there some wizardry that can be invoked to make this more efficient or is there nothing I can do?

thanks

Friday, March 21, 2014 1:19 PM

Answers

• You should be able to exclude certain folders with roaming profiles, e.g. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/814592.

Trevor Seward

Follow or contact me at...

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Monday, March 24, 2014 3:28 PM

All replies

• I guess I would have to question the use of Sync and Roaming Profiles together. 

Purpose of Sync -> to work offline

Purpose of Roaming Profiles -> to work online

I get that it is working online within the company while offline to O365, but the concepts are somewhat colliding... 

One has to give...

Friday, March 21, 2014 1:59 PM
  • I know, but roaming profiles are really the only realistic solution for users who are moving around the building logging in all over the place and expecting their all their personal settings to come with them.

I cannot stop somebody from clicking the sync button on a library, not that they would as most do not know about it but it was just the point that they could which would cause their profile to go rather wonky.

Monday, March 24, 2014 3:02 PM
  • I have set in group policy that the profile cannot exceed 2GB in the worst cases.

that should put a lid on it if that group policy does what it should.

Monday, March 24, 2014 3:12 PM
  • You should be able to exclude certain folders with roaming profiles, e.g. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/814592.

Trevor Seward

Follow or contact me at...

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Monday, March 24, 2014 3:28 PM
  • Nice Trevor

Added 2 names to exclude:

OneDrive @ my company.com;SharePoint

separated by semi colon.

seem to work a treat, now I don't need to worry if they click sync.

thanks for that

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 10:21 AM