Cannot Install SQL Server Express 2008 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• I have been trying to install SQL Server Express 2008 R2 for two days now with no luck.  It always fails during the installation rules check, it errors out on the previous versions of VS2008. The error is:

A previous release of Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 is installed on this computer. Upgrade Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 to the SP1 before installing SQL Server 2008. Visual Studio SP1 can be found at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=159627.

I had a pre-service pack version a while back and uninstalled it after i started using vs2010.  There are no leftover entries in the add/remove programs.  I cannot install the thing suggested by the error message as vs2008 is no longer installed. I am running windows 7 x64.  I'm assuming there is something leftover somewhere in the registry. Any ideas about where it could be?  

Tuesday, March 1, 2011 10:36 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for your post.

I have had the similar issue while installing the SQL Server 2008 R2 on my system before.

Would you please go to the Start menu -> Control Panel -> Programs -> View Installed Updates, and check whether there are any updates for Visual Studio 2008 left in the updates list? If so, try to uninstall them and install the SQL Server 2008 R2 Express again. Also, please check the programs in the installed program list and uninstall all Visual Studio 2008 components.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Andrew.Wu Wednesday, March 9, 2011 10:19 AM
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 8:01 AM