Azure CDN for Customers with worldwide branch offices. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

my customer need to share big CAD Files in the many offices he has worldwide: NY, Singapore, Tokio, Europe, I was thinking of using Microsoft CDN. But from what i read so far i understood (i can be wrong) that: If a User put a File in Azure from the NY branch and aSingapore User wants to read it, he needs to download it from NY and than is stored in the Singapore Servers, is this correct? Is there a Way the file can be automatically trasferred to the different Azure Servers?

thanks

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 10:44 AM

Answers

• The first request for the file from a storage account that is CDN enabled will initiate a transfer of the file from the source storage account to the CDN node able to serve that request.  From that point on (until the cache expiration policy kicks in) the file will be served from the CDN.  But, the initial request would incur the "penalty" of transfering the data from the source location to the CDN.

You can find some more good info on the CDN at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff919703.aspx.

• Proposed as answer by Wenchao Zeng Wednesday, September 7, 2011 6:00 AM
    • Marked as answer by Wenchao Zeng Friday, September 9, 2011 2:08 AM
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 1:07 PM
  • Hi Spazure,

> But since there will be anyway a transfer from Azure Server in NY to Singapore probably there will not be many advantages. Or maybe the transfer between Azure Servers is very fast.

The advantages of using CDN are:

1) The file will be transferred to local node when a request for an object is first made to the CDN. Before it is expired, it will be cached in local node.

2) It may be faster from original node to CDN node than from original node to the client machine.

Thanks.

Wenchao Zeng
    Please mark the replies as answers if they help or unmark if not.
    If you have any feedback about my replies, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com.
    Microsoft One Code Framework
    • Marked as answer by Wenchao Zeng Friday, September 9, 2011 2:09 AM
    Friday, September 2, 2011 3:23 AM
  • Hi Spazure,

> My question is once the team in the Us downloads locally the file and modifies it, what will be the best strategy to cooperate in modifying the file with the Italina team ?

As far as I know, the only way to update the file is to upload it from US to the blob container in Europe Servers.

Currently Windows Azure CDN does not support explictly refreshing the cached objects in CDN nodes. So if you upload a new file to blob container to replace the old one, the cached file in CDN nodes won't immediately expire. Please see How to Manage Expiration of Blob Content for more information. A workaround I can think of is to upload files with new names (for examle, add a increasing suffix) and request your team to download the file via the latest file name.

Thanks.

Wenchao Zeng
    Monday, September 5, 2011 6:35 AM

All replies

• The first request for the file from a storage account that is CDN enabled will initiate a transfer of the file from the source storage account to the CDN node able to serve that request.  From that point on (until the cache expiration policy kicks in) the file will be served from the CDN.  But, the initial request would incur the "penalty" of transfering the data from the source location to the CDN.

You can find some more good info on the CDN at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff919703.aspx.

• Marked as answer by Wenchao Zeng Friday, September 9, 2011 2:08 AM
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 1:07 PM
  • I don’t believe there’s any “prefetch” mechanism in the Windows Azure CDN to prepopulate the edge cache servers with content; you have to access a resource in order for the CDN to retrieve it and then it is cached locally until its lifetime expires or is extended by continued access. One way to get your content in the CDN ahead of time is to simply access it yourself, if you’re able to do that from your target locale(s).

David Pallmann GM Application Development, Neudesic Windows Azure MVP
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 1:09 PM
  • Hi All,

thanks for your replies.

I want to give you more details so that you can probably give me an advice.

My customer has a 1 GB Cad file in NY Servers that need to be transferred to Singapore. The download of those files from Singapore takes very very long. I was thinking that if I transfer the Files from NY Servers to Azure Servers in NY can give a kick. But since there will be anyway a transfer from Azure Server in NY to Singapore probably there will not be many advantages. Or maybe the transfer between Azure Servers is very fast.

What do you think.

Thanks

Thursday, September 1, 2011 4:20 PM
  • Hi Spazure,

> But since there will be anyway a transfer from Azure Server in NY to Singapore probably there will not be many advantages. Or maybe the transfer between Azure Servers is very fast.

The advantages of using CDN are:

1) The file will be transferred to local node when a request for an object is first made to the CDN. Before it is expired, it will be cached in local node.

2) It may be faster from original node to CDN node than from original node to the client machine.

Thanks.

Wenchao Zeng
    Friday, September 2, 2011 3:23 AM
  • Hi Wenchao Zeng,

so probably it would be a good idea to do a test?

Thanks

Friday, September 2, 2011 8:22 AM
  • > so probably it would be a good idea to do a test?

Of course. Please also note that you will be charged while using CDN. See Understanding Windows Azure CDN Billing for more information.

Wenchao Zeng
    Friday, September 2, 2011 8:26 AM
  • Hi Wenchao,

i did the following test. i Uploaded a file of 250 MB from Italy to a Blob Container (in the Europe Servers). It took me abot 20 mins (Of course it depends on my upload rate).

I registered the Storage in CDN.

After that i downloaded from an US Server and the first time it took almost 10 mins, the second time it tool 1.30 mins because of the caching.

My question is once the team in the Us downloads locally the file and modifies it, what will be the best strategy to cooperate in modifying the file with the Italina team ?

Thanks

Friday, September 2, 2011 2:05 PM
  • Hi Spazure,

> My question is once the team in the Us downloads locally the file and modifies it, what will be the best strategy to cooperate in modifying the file with the Italina team ?

As far as I know, the only way to update the file is to upload it from US to the blob container in Europe Servers.

Currently Windows Azure CDN does not support explictly refreshing the cached objects in CDN nodes. So if you upload a new file to blob container to replace the old one, the cached file in CDN nodes won't immediately expire. Please see How to Manage Expiration of Blob Content for more information. A workaround I can think of is to upload files with new names (for examle, add a increasing suffix) and request your team to download the file via the latest file name.

Thanks.

Wenchao Zeng
    Monday, September 5, 2011 6:35 AM