Team Foundation Server 2010 parallel automated builds RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone!

I have a build controller and 2 build agents, each on different machine.

Is there a way to configure to run max 2 concurrent builds, but each build on different build agent?  

Thank you!

Friday, January 13, 2012 8:49 AM

Answers

• Hi Sebastian,

In TFS 2010, a team build is assigned to Build Controller, the Build Controller will now be responsible for managing a custom pool of Build Agents and will select a Build Agent to run the Team Build.
    For this issue, you can create a new build agent, the build controller will manage the two build based on the system situation.

If anything is unclear, please free feel to let me know.

Best Regards,

Lily Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 4:36 AM

All replies

• Hi Sebastian,

Thank you for your post.

Jim Lamb has an article about Building in Parallel Across Multiple Build Agents with TFS 2010, you can refer to it.

I hope this information will help resolve this issue.

Best Regards,

Lily Wu [MSFT]
    Monday, January 16, 2012 3:40 AM
  • Thank you for your answer, Lily Wu.

I have seen that post, but is not exactly what I wanted.

To reduce the building time I even consider building only debug configuration for private builds (99% of the builds are for testing purposes).

What I tried to configure is 2 builds to run in the same time on different agents(agents already configured on different machines), but never 2 builds to run on same machine in the same time.

Sebastian

Monday, January 16, 2012 8:25 AM
  • Hi Sebastian,

I believe Team Build 2010 is bound to the same rule as TFS 2008 that there can only be one build for one team project running on a build agent at a time.  If you were to queue up builds for two different team projects you should see 2 builds running on the same machine/agent.  You can also configure additional agents on the same machine to have multiple builds running on the same machine.  Here's a post describing it for TFS 2008.  The nice thing about 2010 is that you don't have to specify the agent.  The controller handles the distribution.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/granth/archive/2008/06/26/parallel-builds-of-solutions-within-one-team-project.aspx

I hope this helps,

Mike

blog - http://www.codesmartnothard.com
    Monday, January 16, 2012 2:03 PM
  • Hi Sebastian,

In TFS 2010, a team build is assigned to Build Controller, the Build Controller will now be responsible for managing a custom pool of Build Agents and will select a Build Agent to run the Team Build.
    For this issue, you can create a new build agent, the build controller will manage the two build based on the system situation.

Best Regards,

Lily Wu [MSFT]
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 4:36 AM