Software For Mobile Devices RRS feed

• Question

• User1208791036 posted

We have a MS Access database with heavy VBA coding that we would like to move to .net so we can use it on mobile devices, phone, tablet, scan bar coding into the application, etc.  Which .net software is best?  There is data entry, creating new records, editing existing records, and one screen has navigation Tabs at top of the page just to give you an idea of what I’m looking for.  I was looking at VB.net but not sure if it is transferable to mobile devices.  I was also looking at creating a website that is responsive to mobile devices.  The backend we are considering is Azure SQL database or less expensive approach is to use our SharePoint lists as the backend.  Open to suggestions.

Your advice is appreciated with pros and cons and any languages that will be needed to pull this off.

Thanks,

Ben

Wednesday, April 28, 2021 6:14 PM

All replies

• User475983607 posted

Ben078

Which .net software is best? 

.NET 5 is the latest framework.  I recommend C# as most examples are in C#.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/core/get-started

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/aspnet/core/tutorials/razor-pages/?view=aspnetcore-5.0

Ben078

I was also looking at creating a website that is responsive to mobile devices.

It is up to you to pick a responsive framework for your project.  The Visual Studio templates use Bootstrap.

Ben078

Your advice is appreciated with pros and cons and any languages that will be needed to pull this off.

Pros and cons of what?

Wednesday, April 28, 2021 6:37 PM
  • User1208791036 posted

Thank you for your feedback mgebhard.  I was looking at the pros and cons of using VB.net.  I do see the templates in Visual Studio and see you referred me to C#.  I have some research and more reading to do, but this helps to steer my research.  Thanks. Ben.

Wednesday, April 28, 2021 6:43 PM
  • User379720387 posted

The way to go at the moment is Blazor (which only comes in C#), unless you really really need VB. Consider rewriting it as the benefits of Blazor are significant.

In the end Blazor is multi platform (Windows, Linux) as well as a PWA for Android and Apple. And in the next .NET version you can also target Windows Desktop.

Monday, May 3, 2021 5:59 PM