none
Event Log - Get last user to access a file

Question

• Hi All,

Can anyone point me to some sample code to read the system event log to determine the last user/app to write/save a file.  In VB of course. :)

I have been googlin my fingers of and I can't find an example I can cannibalize.  :) :)

Thanks,

-NJ

Saturday, March 25, 2017 3:20 AM

All replies

• Hi NJDevils28,

I read the latest 10 records in the code below, and rank in the listbox, please refer to.

Public Class ReadForm
        ' Stores the name of the log that the user wants to view.
        Private logType As String = ""

Private Sub cmdViewLogEntries_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnViewLogEntries.Click
            Try
                Const EntriesToDisplay As Integer = 10

' In this case the EventLog constructor is passed a string variable for the log name.
                ' This is because the user of the application can choose which log they wish to view 
                ' from the listbox on the form.
                Dim ev As New EventLog(logType, System.Environment.MachineName, _
                    "Event Log Sample")

rchEventLogOutput.Text = "Event log entries (maximum of 10), newest to oldest." & vbCrLf & vbCrLf

Dim lastLogToShow As Integer = ev.Entries.Count - EntriesToDisplay
                If lastLogToShow < 0 Then
                    lastLogToShow = 0
                End If

' Display the last 10 records in the chosen log.
                For index As Integer = ev.Entries.Count - 1 To lastLogToShow Step -1
                    Dim CurrentEntry As EventLogEntry = ev.Entries(index)
                    rchEventLogOutput.Text &= "Event ID : " & CurrentEntry.InstanceId & vbCrLf
                    rchEventLogOutput.Text &= "Entry Type : " & _
                        CurrentEntry.EntryType.ToString() & vbCrLf
                    rchEventLogOutput.Text &= "Message : " & _
                        CurrentEntry.Message & vbCrLf & vbCrLf
                Next
            Catch secEx As System.Security.SecurityException
                MsgBox("Security exception in reading the event log.", MsgBoxStyle.OKOnly, Me.Text & " Error")
            Catch ex As Exception
                MsgBox("Error accessing logs on the local machine.", MsgBoxStyle.OKOnly, Me.Text & " Error")
            End Try
        End Sub

Private Sub lstEntryType_SelectedIndexChanged(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles lstEntryType.SelectedIndexChanged
            ' Store the log that the user selected in the ListBox
            logType = CType(lstEntryType.Items(lstEntryType.SelectedIndex()), String)
        End Sub

Private Sub ReadForm_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
            Try
                For Each currentLog As EventLog In EventLog.GetEventLogs()
                    lstEntryType.Items.Add(currentLog.LogDisplayName)
                Next
                lstEntryType.SelectedIndex = 0
            Catch secEx As System.Security.SecurityException
                MsgBox("Security exception in reading the event log.", MsgBoxStyle.OKOnly, Me.Text & " Error")
            Catch ex As Exception
                MsgBox("Error accessing logs on the local machine.", MsgBoxStyle.OKOnly, Me.Text & " Error")
            End Try
        End Sub

Private Sub CloseToolStripMenuItem_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles CloseToolStripMenuItem.Click
            Me.Close()
        End Sub

End Class

More detailed info, please refer to this sample.

Best Regards,

Cherry Bu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 27, 2017 9:42 AM
  • Hi Cherry,

Thank you for that!  I will try this as soon as I can and post my results!

-NJ

Monday, March 27, 2017 11:37 AM