Ado.Net Data service and Silverlight (consuming Web Data Services) RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

I'm trying to consume a Web Data Services in a silverlight application.

I see that I could use both "client script class" and "server class" as well, but for the first one I can't find where to put java script code in .xaml file; For the second one I can't find a way to add the reference to "Microsoft.Data.WebClient" ( I find the assembly under C:\WINDOWS\assembly but no dll to include in the project )

Can someone help me please?

Bye bye

Mirko

Monday, December 10, 2007 3:19 PM

Answers

•  

The Astoria client from the ASP.NET 3.5 Extenstions CTP is currently not supported in Silverlight.    We anticipate having something publicly available before the end of the year.

Monday, December 10, 2007 5:10 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I have reinstalled the ASP NET Extension and now I find the Microsoft.Data.WebClient but now using the class created by WebDataGen.exe I get the following :

Error 1 The type or namespace name 'Serializable' does not exist in the namespace 'System' (are you missing an assembly reference?) C:\Progetti\Simulazione_Var\Simulazione_Var_Silverlight\Simulazione_Var.cs 267 21 Simulazione_Var_Silverlight

Error 2 'System.SerializableAttribute' is inaccessible due to its protection level C:\Progetti\Simulazione_Var\Simulazione_Var_Silverlight\Simulazione_Var.cs 267 21 Simulazione_Var_Silverlight

I suppose that in Silverlight there isn't that method in System namespace.

Someone can help me

Bye bye

Mirko

Monday, December 10, 2007 4:19 PM
  •  

The Astoria client from the ASP.NET 3.5 Extenstions CTP is currently not supported in Silverlight.    We anticipate having something publicly available before the end of the year.

Monday, December 10, 2007 5:10 PM
  • You can still consume it in Silverlight by using the JavascriptSerializer (and requesting JSON formatted data).  My Astoria-Silverlight site has an example of this (I am currently updating this with the latest bits):

http://silverdata.com

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 10:44 PM
  • Do you also intend to support Sytem.ComponentModel.INotifyPropertyChanged?
    Monday, December 31, 2007 4:50 PM
  • Not in the Astoria Silverlight client preview.

We are planning on having a binding story for both SIlverlight and non- Silverlight clients for the 1.0 release of Astoria.  We are currently designing that support and will release the design notes soon.

Monday, December 31, 2007 7:49 PM