none
Get Intercharge Segment Values inside Orchestration (IS13) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi 

Can anyone please let me know how to get the ISA and GS segments of X12 interchange inside biztalk orchestration.

The scenario is i have to insert into a log table the X12 files i sent to the client. I have to insert the ISA and GS segments into that log table, but these are generated at the (send pipelines) which are at send ports.

Is there any way to log the Interchange control number.

Thanks in advance.

Friday, September 5, 2014 8:47 PM

Answers

• If you enable EDI Tracking, BizTalk will log this information automatically.

So, I would recommend you first investigate whether or not that will satisfy the real requirement.

Keep in mind, the original requirement was probably very simple, keep a record of what was sent to the Trading Partner, which BizTalk will do by itself.  The fact that it was implemented as a filename log may be incidental, meaning a table of filenames was not the actual request or requirement.

If this is a checked, double-checked, confirmed requirement, you can use a custom Pipeline Component in the Encode Stage that extracts the required data and either writes a BizTalk message for the SQL Adapter or updates the table internally.

Using the EDI Pipeline Components in an Orchestration is not supported.
    • Marked as answer by Angie Xu Monday, September 15, 2014 1:23 AM
    Saturday, September 6, 2014 12:15 PM
  • You can write it to a folder where another Receive Location is watching.  You would subscribe to it with one Send Port that writes it to the ultimate destination.

You can then use either a custom Pipeline Component or Orchestration to parse out the required values.  Then create an update message to log the data.

I would also be worthwhile to also enable EDI Tracking and demonstrate both to the administrators.

Monday, September 8, 2014 6:33 PM

All replies

• If you enable EDI Tracking, BizTalk will log this information automatically.

So, I would recommend you first investigate whether or not that will satisfy the real requirement.

Keep in mind, the original requirement was probably very simple, keep a record of what was sent to the Trading Partner, which BizTalk will do by itself.  The fact that it was implemented as a filename log may be incidental, meaning a table of filenames was not the actual request or requirement.

If this is a checked, double-checked, confirmed requirement, you can use a custom Pipeline Component in the Encode Stage that extracts the required data and either writes a BizTalk message for the SQL Adapter or updates the table internally.

Using the EDI Pipeline Components in an Orchestration is not supported.
    Saturday, September 6, 2014 12:15 PM
  • Hi Maheshkumar,

I red your article its really nice but it explains how to get the ISA, ST segments from a EDI file. My case is slightly different. In this case I generate the EDI file with data from my db , the ISA and ST segments are generated by biztalk at the send port (last stage) which i should retrieve and make a log.

I tried subscribing same message to two send ports (within a sendport group) so that i will get two copy of same message. All worked fine but the ISA segment and ST were not equal for both files. I know since EDISEND pipeline gets executed for each file this ISA segment is incrementing.

Is there any other way to access the ISA segment which gets generated in pipeline and insert it into custom table.

Thanks in advance.

Monday, September 8, 2014 2:58 PM
  • Hi John.

Thanks for your quick response. My client wants to log the informations in separate table i couldnt convince him.

Please help me if there is any way to access the ISA segments of a EDI file on the fly while creating it.

Is there any way to copy the EDI file (from one folder to another) programatically through biztalk without changing its ISA and EDI segments?

Monday, September 8, 2014 3:02 PM
  • You can write it to a folder where another Receive Location is watching.  You would subscribe to it with one Send Port that writes it to the ultimate destination.

You can then use either a custom Pipeline Component or Orchestration to parse out the required values.  Then create an update message to log the data.

I would also be worthwhile to also enable EDI Tracking and demonstrate both to the administrators.

Monday, September 8, 2014 6:33 PM