Support for specialized USB devices in Windows RT

General discussion

• Hi,

as an IHV that develops USB devices we want to add support for all Windows 8/RT platforms.

The WDK only supports x86/64 platforms.

I saw the Build 2012 slide that stated "Work with OEMs to develop on ARM devices".

http://view.officeapps.live.com/op/view.aspx?src=http%3a%2f%2fvideo.ch9.ms%2fsessions%2fbuild%2f2012%2f2-121.pptx

However, it is still not clear to me who is eligible for access to the ARM WDK/toolchain.

Are OEMs only manufacturers of ARM tablets/devices or would we as manufacturer of peripheral USB devices count as well?

What is the official way to get in contact?

Regards

Friedo

Monday, January 21, 2013 10:44 AM

All replies

• Hi Friedo,

Thanks for your post. I have forwarded your question and will post back if there is any updates.

Best regards,

Min Zhu
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 1:54 AM
  • Windows RT products are delivered complete with firmware, drivers and accessories. Developer focus for Windows RT is Windows Store apps, not desktop apps or drivers.  Windows Store apps can leverage sensors and other devices for which there are built in class drivers exposed through the WinRT APIs.

Best Regards - Eric

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 3:27 AM
  • I am working with a company that is making a specialized device that connects to a computer using USB
    On windows 8 x86 it installs a specialized driver.

Can someone please point me to documentation on what is the process of getting such drivers built and installed on RT OS? Do these need to be installed through windows update only or can they provide a package jut like they do with regular windows?
    They are looking for a process to build and install the drivers on RT devices themselves not necessarily through windows update.
    Is there a good documentation page describing exactly what is possible and what not and what is the process for an OEM to support RT platform also if they need drivers to be installed?

-Constantin.

• Merged by Aaron Xue Tuesday, April 30, 2013 9:07 AM duplicated
    Sunday, April 28, 2013 5:58 PM
  • Eric,

Why won't you expose a virtual serial port API for Windows Store apps and include USB virtual serial port drivers for FTDI in Windows RT? What is the technical reason for crippling Windows RT in this way?

I have an existing automotive desktop application which is designed to communicate with vehicle engine management systems via USB using a virtual serial port. But I cannot port this desktop application to the Windows Store because this is not possible with WinRT. That's hugely disappointing!!! I cannot recommend any Windows RT device to ANY of my customers as a result of this.

How on earth do you expect Windows RT to succeed when it can't communicate properly with the outside world?

Monday, April 29, 2013 4:13 PM
  • Hi Constantin,

As the question is very similar to the thread below, I'll merge the threads into one for better supporting.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/tailoringappsfordevices/thread/fc74a5e8-cd9a-4b1f-9185-1c13c93f3728

Aaron
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 9:06 AM