Sharepoint 2010 Foundation and SQL licence RRS feed

• Question

• I appreciate this is a licencing issue so I only really want some ideas to look into rather than a direct answer. We want to use SharePoint Foundation internally in one of our IT departments as it is free. What are our options given we need an SQL licence? Are there any "free" options. We are a Gold Partner and have MSDN subscriptions plus the company is an ISP so perhaps "spare" licences might be available. Can anyone give me an overview of some of options out there so I can ask the right people to speak to Microsoft. Cheers, Chris.

Chris

• Edited by Fresno Bob Tuesday, June 19, 2012 12:39 PM
    Tuesday, June 19, 2012 12:37 PM

Answers

• Hi

Using SHP Foundation you have already an engine of SQL, without any licenses.

Also you can install SQL Express also which is free

What you need is licenses for OS server 2008 + CALs

Check this post , with same topic

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-CA/sharepoint2010setup/thread/a996bacc-85ce-40ee-9f8f-475e867c97e6

Romeo Donca, Orange Romania (MCSE, MCTS, CCNA) Please Mark As Answer if my post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if the post has been helpful for you.

• Edited by romeo donca Tuesday, June 19, 2012 12:46 PM
    • Marked as answer by Pengyu Zhao Friday, June 29, 2012 6:22 AM
    Tuesday, June 19, 2012 12:45 PM
  • With SharePoint Foundation you can use SQL Server Express - but there is a limit for a db size (2008 with 4GB, 2008 R2 and later with 10GB per database, also 1GB RAM and 1 CPU can be used with Express). Also Foundation if installed as basic installation contains SQL 2008 Express install. 

If you have some spare SQL licence, you can install SQL Standard, where is no limit for db size. Of course you can create multiple site collections (where every site collection can have its own database) so the limit will be applied to every site collection.

Marek Chmel, WBI Systems (MCTS, MCITP, MCT, CCNA)
    Please Mark As Answer if my post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been helpful for you.

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 1:14 PM

All replies

• Hi

Using SHP Foundation you have already an engine of SQL, without any licenses.

Also you can install SQL Express also which is free

What you need is licenses for OS server 2008 + CALs

Check this post , with same topic

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-CA/sharepoint2010setup/thread/a996bacc-85ce-40ee-9f8f-475e867c97e6

Romeo Donca, Orange Romania (MCSE, MCTS, CCNA) Please Mark As Answer if my post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if the post has been helpful for you.

• Edited by romeo donca Tuesday, June 19, 2012 12:46 PM
    Tuesday, June 19, 2012 12:45 PM
  • With SharePoint Foundation you can use SQL Server Express - but there is a limit for a db size (2008 with 4GB, 2008 R2 and later with 10GB per database, also 1GB RAM and 1 CPU can be used with Express). Also Foundation if installed as basic installation contains SQL 2008 Express install. 

If you have some spare SQL licence, you can install SQL Standard, where is no limit for db size. Of course you can create multiple site collections (where every site collection can have its own database) so the limit will be applied to every site collection.

Marek Chmel, WBI Systems (MCTS, MCITP, MCT, CCNA)
    Please Mark As Answer if my post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been helpful for you.

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 1:14 PM