Issue with enabling Hyper-V in Developer Preview

Question

• Hardware Info:

ASUS P8P67 PRO (REV 3.1)

Latest BIOS installed

Intel i7-2600

8GB of RAM

Prior to enabling Hyper-V, I had rebooted into the BIOS (UEFI) and made sure that my Intel Virtualization Technology was set to ENABLED.

Next I booted back into the Windows 8 (I should mention that I have dual boot enabled with Windows 8 as the default) In addition, my boot drive is RAID 0 (stripped) with Intel Rapid Storage Technology drivers installed).

I created a restore point.

I went and enabled Hyper-V and the Hyper-V management tools. When it rebooted, the boot process was unable to go into the OS selection portion and instead it immediately restarted itself and when it comes up it goes straight to "Startup Repair". If I repair, it will revert to my restore point as if I didn't enable Hyper-V in the OS. If this happens, then the system is able to boot successfully but of course no Hyper-V.

I did it again, but this time when it restarted, I let it go to "Startup Repair" again. This time, I chose EXIT. Of course, it rebooted again as it was unable to start. However, before it went into Windows boot - I went into my BIOS instead and changed the Enable Intel Virtualization Technology to DISABLED. I saved my settings and restarted.

This time the OS came up I saw that the Hyper-V manager was installed. I then brought up task manager and went to the Performance tab. I clicked the CPU on the left. Looking at the information at the bottom, I see that Virtualization is disabled. (Which is expected since I had to disable it in the BIOS to get Windows 8 to even boot)

My question is this: Is there a log I can look at or preserve so I can either submit it as a bug or whatnot to find out why I cannot get virtualization working? I didn't bother creating a VM and trying an OS since I know that hardware virtualization has to be enabled for it to work properly.

Thanks for any suggestions or information you can provide.

Oh, one last thing: I reverted back to my restore point and went into the BIOS and re-enabled Intel Virtualization Technology.

I ran COREINFO -v and this is the output:

Coreinfo v3.01 - Dump information on system CPU and memory topology
    Copyright (C) 2008-2011 Mark Russinovich
    Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz
    Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7, GenuineIntel
    HYPERVISOR      -       Hypervisor is present
    VMX             *       Supports Intel hardware-assisted virtualization
    EPT             *       Supports Intel extended page tables

=-Chris

Friday, October 14, 2011 1:50 AM

Answers

• thanks bob, it works fine once i remove the usb drives,

once more thank you

ashraf salah
    Sunday, October 16, 2011 6:50 AM
  • Chris and others,

When you install Windows 8, the windows 8 bootmgr replaces the older bootmgr(s) and still allow you to multi boot into the other partitions.

Enabling and running Hyper-V in one of your multi-boot partitions should work as expected.

The presence of USB based drives should not affect the boot (this is a bug that we are trying to reproduce internall so that we can identify the bug).

Providing repro steps would be helpful in our efforts to idenity the cause of any issues.

Bart

Hyper-V Hypervisor Dev Lead

Thursday, November 10, 2011 7:20 PM

All replies

• Chris Conner,

I am sorry to hear about your issue.  The reason that you are not able to install Hyper-V is because you are dual booting.  The root Operating System is also running on top of the Hyper-V virtualization layer, but it is special in that it has direct access to all the hardware.  When you have multiple Operating Systems installed to boot from then Hyper-V is not able to setup correctly.  You could install Windows Developer Preview as your root Operating System and install Windows 7 to a .vhd to access through Hyper-V.

For more information about Hyper-V and Windows Developer Preview you can check out the following blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/09/07/bringing-hyper-v-to-windows-8.aspx

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Chris
    Friday, October 14, 2011 7:28 PM
  • This information was helpful and the solution. Thank you very much.

=-Chris

Friday, October 14, 2011 11:45 PM
  • Dear Chris, i'm running the same configuration, i'm facing the same problem, Except i have one OS "Windows 8 developer preview"

I really need help?

ashraf salah
    Saturday, October 15, 2011 9:36 PM
  • >Dear Chris, i'm running the same configuration, i'm facing the same problem, Except i have one OS "Windows 8 developer preview"

If you have any USB drives plugged in externally, installing the
    hypervisor doesn't enumerate the disks the same and that's maybe why
    you can't boot.  Just unplug the external USB drive if you have it and
    it'll boot.

fwiw, you can run Win7 and Win8 in a dual boot scenario, I didn't
    notice any problem like Chris mentioned.

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Saturday, October 15, 2011 10:03 PM
  • thanks bob, it works fine once i remove the usb drives,

once more thank you

ashraf salah
    Sunday, October 16, 2011 6:50 AM
  • Chris Conner,

I am sorry to hear about your issue. The reason that you are not able to install Hyper-V is because you are dual booting. The root Operating System is also running on top of the Hyper-V virtualization layer, but it is special in that it has direct access to all the hardware. When you have multiple Operating Systems installed to boot from then Hyper-V is not able to setup correctly. You could install Windows Developer Preview as your root Operating System and install Windows 7 to a .vhd to access through Hyper-V.
    If you use a 3rd party boot manager like BootIt I'm sure you will not have this problem. That is how I am running Windows 7 and Windows 8 on the same machine. I have not tried Hyper-V on Windows 8 yet, but I cannot imagine that there will be a problem, because with BootIt the partition for the "other OS" is not even in the partition table.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Sunday, October 16, 2011 9:24 AM
  • You're welcome, glad to help!

Sunday, October 16, 2011 11:28 AM
  • >If you use a 3rd party boot manager like BootIt I'm sure you will not have this problem.

You don't even have to go to that much trouble if all you're going to
    dual boot is Windows 7 and Windows 8, the Windows 8 boot manager
    handles it all.

Sunday, October 16, 2011 11:34 AM
  • If you use a 3rd party boot manager like BootIt I'm sure you will not have this problem.
    You don't even have to go to that much trouble if all you're going to
    dual boot is Windows 7 and Windows 8, the Windows 8 boot manager
    handles it all.
    Well, I had BooIt installed on my machine already, so it was zero trouble. Create a partition and install Windows 8 to it, same as any other Windows OS.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Sunday, October 16, 2011 6:02 PM
  • I normally use GAG just like that, but since I just flattened both my
    main machines, I hadn't gotten that far and I knew it would work with
    the Windows boot loader, so that what I used so far. (until I install
    more OS's anyway. <g>)

Monday, October 17, 2011 4:40 PM
  • OMG what???? Is Microsoft saying that Hyper-V won't be usable or functional if we are dual booting Windows 8 with another OS????? This is an issue with only the Developer Preview or it's going to be like this by design for the final Windows 8 release as well?
    • Edited by xpclient Tuesday, October 18, 2011 4:10 AM
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 3:55 AM
  • Sorry gentlemen, could you please confirm that Hyper-V will not work when dual booting because it is will be unable to detect primary Hyper-V partition?

I have Intel-VT and Execute Disable bit enabled in BIOS and I have a dual-boot configuration:

1. Windows Server 2008 R2 with Hyper-V enabled.

2. Windows Developer Preview natively booting into VHD.

Windows Developer Preview is currently set as a default OS to boot into. I am using new boot manager.

Do I get it like I won't be able neither use the Hyper-V in my server OS nor will I be able to install Hyper-V in Windows Developer Preview? Thanks God, I CAN boot into server OS.

Thank you.

Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 6:20 AM
  • You can dual boot just fine (at least with the preview), the Windows 8
    Boot loader is smart enough to handle things, that's why it reboots
    when you select your older OS...

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 10:24 AM
  • Ergo: is it possible to install the Hyper-V feature on Windows Developer Preview when in dual-boot configuration and native VHD boot or it is not? I am a bit worrying to see black screen after I install the Hyper-V feature and reboot the Windows Developer Preview...
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 11:49 AM
  • It is possible, I have 2 machines doing it.

The only caveat that I have found is that you have to unplug any external USB drives when booting -- because the hypervisor boot routine is incorrectly enumerating them first. (it's a bug and I turned it in.)

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 1:01 PM
  • Thanks, Bob!

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 2:33 PM
  • Thanks Bob for clarifying that. Wonder why support engineer Chris said if you are dual booting, you may be unable to install Hyper-V.
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 2:35 PM
  • No problem guys.

There probably was (is?) a version of Windows 8 where the boot manager
    couldn't handle it.  The boot process is enough different than Windows
    7 that they have to do tricky stuff to make it work.  It's possible
    Microsoft might be rethinking allowing it, so I guess we have to wait
    for the beta... 

I don't have any inside knowledge one way or the other, I just have a
    pretty good understanding of the way the hypervisor works and I like
    to tinker. <g>

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 2:44 PM
  • Chris and others,

When you install Windows 8, the windows 8 bootmgr replaces the older bootmgr(s) and still allow you to multi boot into the other partitions.

Enabling and running Hyper-V in one of your multi-boot partitions should work as expected.

The presence of USB based drives should not affect the boot (this is a bug that we are trying to reproduce internall so that we can identify the bug).

Providing repro steps would be helpful in our efforts to idenity the cause of any issues.

Bart

Hyper-V Hypervisor Dev Lead

Thursday, November 10, 2011 7:20 PM
  • Bart, exactly what repro steps would you like? As stated in my forum post, I was asking if there is a LOG that I can provide to you. :)

I do have a e-SATA drive that is plugged in and turned on when my system is booting. I am going to try to disable it and see if Hyper-V will install.

Is there *anything* else you want me to try to get it working?

=-Chris

Friday, November 11, 2011 3:46 AM
  • Chris,

There are no logs that will help with this particular problem.  Our best bet is to get it to reproduce her at MS so that we can debug it using the appropriate tools.  In order to reproduce it, we need to know about the specifics that appear to cause the behavior.  The more information we have about the various repros the more likely we can narrow in on the conditions to cause the repro.

Ideally, we would like to get our hands on a machine that is identical to one of the reported problems and follow the identical repro steps.  Since this is difficult (for example we generally don't have ASUS based machines available to us) we have to make guesses as to what is germaine to the problem find a system that matches that understanding and then follow the provided steps.

Assuming we can get a machine that comes close your your setup, we still need to reproduce your systems configuration and state at the time of the problem.  What steps would we have to follow to get a machine that matches your machine state?

How was(were) your drive(s) layed out?  What OS was first installed?  What OS was installed next?

This problem is likely related to one or more of the following:

- multi-boot configuration

- version of bootmgr used

- hardware tables reported by BIOS to OS at boottime

It is also possible that you would have trouble enabling Hyper-V even without multi-boot (and thus multi-boot is just a red hearing).  One thing that would be a huge help is if you could narrow things down a bit.  For example, if you happened to have a spare driver you could temporarily remove your existing drives (so that we don't corrupt your current machine state) and install a spare drive.  Install the developer preview on this spare drive and verify that you can successfully install Hyper-V (and use it) so long as you are not using multi-boot.

Bart

Bart House Hyper-V Microkernel Dev Lead
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 2:36 AM