Win 8 crashes during install (no Radeon drivers in iso)

Question

• Hello there:

I've encountered a problem with the install procedure for the Win8 program. The install seems to  crash at the point where the *getting devices ready* is at 93% ....then the system gives me the error message that the install  has *run into a problem it cannot handle* and cannot continue. If I attempt to re-try the install , I let the install program reformat the partition the failed install went to but every time this failure takes place a new entry is created and one gets multiple possible op/sys's entered into the boot loader on the *reserved partition* which are displayed, the install program chooses the current install procedure and continues on it's way only to once again fail at the same point .  This install is going onto a clean standalone hard drive, no other drives or op/sys involved. I'm making use of the 32bit  version, I downloaded it directly from the Microsoft website. PC is a 3.2 gig Pentium duo, nothing special.

• Edited by RangerXLT Sunday, December 4, 2011 4:32 PM
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 4:55 PM

All replies

• It sounds like Windows Developer Preview is hanging on the driver installation for the graphics card. I don't know what graphic card you have but you might try disabling the graphic card to continue the installation, install the latest drivers or switch to a different graphic card.

I would also verify that you have the latest BIOS for your system.

Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) or Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS/UEFI settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Let us know if this helps.

Marilyn
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 6:02 PM
  • Marilyn: thx for the response, the graphics card is a PCI-E AMD/ATI 4850HD (desktop pc here). I had no issues with this same pc/op-sys installing Win7 (which is on another sata drive ..disabled for this install). The bios is up to date as for upgrades from Intel. There is no onboard video with this motherboard so I can't really *disable* the graphics card. Some roadblock....

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 9:44 PM
  • I've still not been able to solve this situation with Win8 and one of my devices. I went to the effort of disabling all of the pci slot items (with the exception of my graphics card...can't do that or I'll lose my monitor). I'm stumped as to what this Win8 program is looking for where my devices are concerned that is causing this situation, but, Win7 has absolutely no problem at all when it was installed (by the tech shop that sold me the PC).
    Thursday, November 24, 2011 5:05 PM
  • I've come to the conclusion that this win8 install program won't/can't/doesn't like my ATI RadeonHD graphics card at all. This not good and definitely not acceptable. If the install program can't see/accept the graphics card drivers then how is one supposed to install the operating system? This needs to be remedied. Perhaps I am not the only one in this situation. I can't load the drivers (and why should I have to), the install program should have the basic vga drivers for radeon cards already in place. I am very disappointed. Assistance is most welcome. 
    Thursday, November 24, 2011 11:42 PM
  • Have you tried to install the driver for your ATI RadeonHD Graphic Card in compatibility mode?
    For the driver/drivers you downloaded use the compatibility troubleshooter to install them to see if that resolves the problem.
    You can do this by:

· Enter the Start screen

· Move your mouse to the bottom left of the screen to expand the Charms section

· SelectSearch

· TypeCompatibility

· ClickSettings in the right column

· ClickRun programs made for previous versions of Windows

· Then follow the prompts and direct the troubleshooter to the installer for your computer's driver.

Since Windows Developer Preview is a pre-beta not all components will function correctly in this version.

Thanks,

Marilyn
    Thursday, November 24, 2011 11:57 PM
  • Marilyn.... my dear: I cannot install the operating system!... at all. How can I upgrade drivers when there is no op/sys there to begin with.

• Edited by RangerXLT Friday, November 25, 2011 1:19 AM
    Friday, November 25, 2011 1:17 AM
  •  Make a new clean 30GB Partition, set the Partition to Active, use that partition to install Win 8 on... and your ATI Radeon HD graphics card is fine with Win 8 (8102).

now are you installing from DVD, or USB ... what did you use to make your bootable device...??? what speed did you burn your DVD - if you used over 8x ur in trouble. Burn at the slowest possible speed & also select verify....

You left many ?'s un answered to what method u are using .... an why did you remove the Win 7 HDD.? did you select the proper HDD in the BIOS?

what is your Boot Sequence?

Friday, November 25, 2011 1:38 AM
  • There are two sata hdd's in the case right now. The blank drive is already partitioned to size (the Win8 install program has looked after that during the install process).

I removed(disabled) the sata drive that has Win7 installed on so the bios does not see it. I do not want the two op/sys's installed side by side visible to each other.

Install is from the DVD that was dl'ed from the developer website (here). It was burned at 4x

Boot sequence has nothing to do with this problem.

Friday, November 25, 2011 2:27 AM
  • This thread posted by another radeon user looks very similar to my problem here

Note last thread entry.....how does one get the needed drivers onto the install DVD? Vlite doesn't seem to work. There is a reference to *cmd way* (what is that?)

Secondly......why should the end user have to do this in the first place?....why are the drivers not on the disc to begin with??

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/71ddc2f5-bc0a-4fde-807f-691a2dd531b7

Friday, November 25, 2011 12:52 PM
  • This is a Pre-Beta and not all drivers are compatible with this version of the operating system. I expect the Beta release will have more drivers
    available on the disc.

Marilyn
    Thursday, December 1, 2011 8:47 PM
  •  

I did go to the effort of contacting ATI on the matter.

I received a delayed response from them stating initially that there were no radeon drivers for my particular card developed for Win8 at *that* time.

Just today I've received an updated response stating that there are now drivers for all of the radeonHD cards for Win8 pre beta.

Question:

Will you now update the current downloadable iso exe for this Win8 program to include these new drivers so like myself anyone else with an ATI radeon HD card can install the op/sys?

• Edited by RangerXLT Sunday, December 4, 2011 4:33 PM
    Friday, December 2, 2011 6:45 PM
  • ^Bump.......

Please look into this....soon

Sunday, December 4, 2011 4:49 PM
  • I don't know if they will update the ISO for Windows Developer Preview. They may decide to wait for the Beta release.

Thank you for letting us know of the new drivers now available for Windows Developer Preview. I will definitely let users know of these new drivers.

Thanks,
    Marilyn
    Sunday, December 4, 2011 6:00 PM
  • Well, all is not lost with the world. Even tho I still cannot install this op/sys onto my desktop PC because of a lack of graphics driver for the installed graphics card, Win8 DID happily install onto my wife's Acer/Intel laptop. It went in like a breeze and sits alongside of her older XP SP3 op/sys. Having made use of it now for a few weeks & because I prefer the *classic* display I disabled the metro capabilities, the *live* login, and the op/sys boots up just like Win7 and I installed my regular desktop wallpaper. If you didn't know it was 8, you'd think it was 7, they are so similar in appearance with the exception of a few very small graphic visual items. I can say this for the system...it IS STABLE, I haven't come across any sort of glitch at all.

I've installed Firefox 8 as my defacto web browser ....and I'm wondering who has imitated whom...IE10 is similar to Firefox, or is it the other way 'round? No matter, the web browser is solid, no problems. Not making use of the *metro* I wonder if this eliminates some of the discrepancies that I have read thru here on the forum. 

I wonder if in the future the developers will do something about the winsxs folder, here as in 7 it amasses information and that folder grows continually, me personally, I don't prefer this approach, the folder itself takes up half the total size of the entire op/sys.(8gig)..I turned off the hiberfile & reduced the size of the pagefile. If there are unnecessary files in there, why include them at all, instead, have the folder self clean itself to remove unneeded items, keeping it's size generally smaller.

I'm impressed so far with this system, hopefully the RC's will have my needed drivers for my desktop so I can install this system there as well (misinformed by AMD/ATI......the drivers for MY series of graphics card were not included in the release that they supplied to Microsoft...bummer).

• Edited by RangerXLT Friday, December 30, 2011 11:12 PM
    Friday, December 30, 2011 11:08 PM
  • Hello RangerXLT, 

Hopefully the drivers will be included for the ATI RadeonHD Graphic Card in the beta release.

If you have any concerns that you want to share, then please submit feedback on the Connect website.
    You can  submit feedback using the Windows Feedback Tool from the Connect Site associated with your Windows Developer Preview program. If you’re an MSDN subscriber, the information on how to join the Connect program is included on the download page where you installed Windows Developer Preview. There’s a link to the Connect site and an invitation code that you can click on to join using a Windows Live ID account. If you’re not an MSDN subscriber follow this limited use link to join the Connect program and then follow the steps here.

If you are prompted for an invitation code, please enter the following key. MSDN-76H9-3CFP

https://connect.microsoft.com/site1147/InvitationUse.aspx?ProgramID=7221&InvitationID=MSDN-76H9-3CFP

Thanks,

Marilyn
    Sunday, January 1, 2012 6:42 PM