none
Customizing the Backstage area RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I would like to hide the Search element and also the Featured tab. Is it possible so that the only available options are the Shared (custom) templates we have? Alternatively how easy is it to replicate this for our own new tab?

I am familiar with the Custom UI Editor and that's what I've used to create our custom ribbon. Thanks

Thursday, October 27, 2016 11:42 AM

All replies

• Hi,

It is impossible to do that.

For this tab New (TabOfficeStart), Office only provide the idMso of the group in the picture (GroupOfficeStart).

If you want to custom this tab, we could hide this group and add our own content.

But in that situation, we need to customize the whole UI in this tab, so we need to put/link the templates in that to finish the function what Office provides now. I think the task is complex and may not be able to achieve.

For example, if using the following XML

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <customUI xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2009/07/customui" onLoad="Ribbon_Load">
      <backstage>
        <tab idMso="TabOfficeStart">
          <firstColumn>
            <group idMso="GroupOfficeStart" visible="0">
            </group>
            <group id="testGroup" label="testGroup">
              <topItems>
                 <button id ="CustomButton" label="CustomButton"/>
              </topItems>
            </group>
          </firstColumn>
        </tab>
      </backstage>
    </customUI>

When application starts: 

In the backstage view:

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 28, 2016 5:26 AM
  • Thanks Celeste, useful to know. Not sure which way I will go with this.
    Tuesday, November 8, 2016 3:44 PM