XAML to bitmap.. RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi,

I know this topic is popping up very often, BUT. I want to express the frustration yet one more time ....  solving one issue(?) - security by disabling one of widely used feature it is basically shooting yourself in the leg....

There is large number of applications including the one we are developing which relying on ability to convert xaml to bitmap and the "game" engine can deal with that bitmap as "native" object - panning, zooming etc.... All workarounds including tracking screen coordinates and updating them in xaml control looks super ugly - all such controls are dragged like on rubber band - because swap chain buffer rendering is faster than xaml controls... So it is always few frames behind...

Security? Ok, why dont you have a separate capability that app can sign up for? 

Vlad

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 6:13 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I understand that the team supporting developers on this forum are not the designers of the API, but it would be good if you can pass the feedback to the development team.

Thanks

Vlad

Thursday, July 26, 2012 4:22 PM
  • Hi Vlad,

Your feedback has been received. We are well aware that this is one of the most desired unimplemented features for Xaml programmers, and this is being taken into consideration for the future.

I don't understand your comments on security here. This is not a security issue, but a matter of there not being time to implement all of the features that both we and customers desire.

--Rob

Thursday, July 26, 2012 4:37 PM
  • Hi Rob,

I did read some comments regarding the topic and they were related to the security this feature may compromise - capturing the screen content?

Thanks

Vlad

Friday, July 27, 2012 4:14 PM
  • Capturing the full screen content (including other apps) is prohibited because Metro style apps can't interact with other apps and being able to do a full screen capture would let them scrape data from other apps.

This isn't directly related to rendering Xaml into a Bitmap, except that the two scenarios could be mutual workarounds for each other: if you could capture the screen you would get the rendered Xaml, and if you could render your page's Xaml to a bitmap you could use it to generate a screenshot of your app.

Creating a screenshot of your own app by rendering the app's page into a bitmap is a legitimate scenario that is unfortunately not possible in the current version.

--Rob

Friday, July 27, 2012 7:05 PM
  • Capturing full screen content is not the case for me, the isolated controls is. Hope, this feature is not on the back burner in priority list....

Vlad

Friday, July 27, 2012 8:23 PM