none
Data missing in HTML on SSDT16 and Report Builder

Question

• I'm having an issue with the soft render of a simple report in both SSDT and Report Builder environments in 2016. I'm sure there is a sample solution but I'm unable to find a solution on the web/forum. 

I'm actually just using a simple tablix from AdventureworksDW2016CTP3 with a couple of fields inserted as I'm refamiliarising myself with the environment as I'm from a Crystal Reports background. The data might initially display but disappears after switching between design and preview. More interestingly, the report views perfectly when utilising print preview in  both applications and exports .pdf correctly... and also when deployed to the report server. I've previously posted a similar discussion in the 'Reporting Services' forum but I've been recommend to post this here...

All is installed locally on my laptop with Windows 10 and Administrator privileges. Any help would be appreciated as it's driving me nuts.

I've added images of the simple design, soft render and print preview as well as Visual Studio System Info at the bottom.

Thanks

Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 Shell (Integrated)
    Version 14.0.23107.0 D14REL
    Microsoft .NET Framework
    Version 4.6.01586

Installed Version: IDE Standard

Microsoft Visual Studio Tools for Applications 2015  
    Microsoft Visual Studio Tools for Applications 2015

Visual Basic 2015   
    Microsoft Visual Basic 2015

Visual C# 2015   
    Microsoft Visual C# 2015

SQL Server Analysis Services   13.0.1701.8
    Microsoft SQL Server Analysis Services Designer 
    Version 13.0.1701.8

SQL Server Data Tools   14.0.61021.0
    Microsoft SQL Server Data Tools

SQL Server Integration Services   
    Microsoft SQL Server Integration Services Designer
    Version 13.0.1601.5

SQL Server Reporting Services   13.0.1701.8
    Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services Designers 
    Version 13.0.1701.8

Tuesday, March 07, 2017 9:31 AM

All replies

• Hi MakoEM,

>>I'm actually just using a simple tablix from AdventureworksDW2016CTP3 with a couple of fields inserted as I'm refamiliarising myself with the environment as I'm from a Crystal Reports background.

As far as I know, when we switch between Design and Preview panel, the report will build again. And you are using Crystal Reports, so I suggest you could connect to the SQL Server to get a simple report, and switch from the Design to Preview to see whether has the same issue. And please check the DataSource connect to make sure it connects database successfully.

Sincerely,

Oscar

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 08, 2017 3:01 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Oscar.

Apologies, if not clear, but this is being developed in SSRS on SSDT and not with Crystal Reports. All connections to the database work as expected. This appears to be a problem with the actual rendering of the report solely within VisualStudio.

Thursday, March 09, 2017 1:22 PM
  • Hi MakoEM,

1). First please click the fresh button to see again.

2). Make sure all columns are non-hidden for you. You could calculate query count. Or you could create a new simple table in your database, and create a report for it, to see whether has the same issue. This step could help us to exclude the reason caused by the table.

Sincerely,

Oscar

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 10, 2017 1:46 AM
  • Hi Oscar,

I have already tested this and also ensured the data file is deleted. Visual Studio 2013 works fine, and by all accounts VS 2016 is extremely buggy so I'm going to try a reinsatall to see if that works.

Monday, March 13, 2017 7:18 AM
  • Hi friend,

Please feel free to let me know your results.

Sincerely,

Oscar

MSDN Community Support

Monday, March 13, 2017 1:35 PM
  • Hi Oscar,

No such luck I'm afraid. 

I think it may be related to the actual visualisation of VS2015 as when I open a new Window and hover over the Tools section, white lines start appearing under each new item as I pass the mouse over. See below.

ReportItems1

ReportItems2

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 2:04 PM
  • Hi MakoEM,

According to your above screenshots there are some problems in ToolBox.

So please make sure you have downloaded SSDT for VS2015 from the following link:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/mt186501.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

If you have already downloaded from above link and the issue also persist. So I suggest you could repair this VS from control panel:

Please click start->control panel-> programs and features->right-click Microsoft Visual Studio 2015->change ->Repair.

Sincerely,

Oscar

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 1:41 AM