Using Windows Authentication when domain controller is down. RRS feed

• Question

• If Windows Authentication is used and domain controller is down (and there is no secondary domain controller) - what will happen?
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 10:06 PM

Answers

• You will see authentication errors that contain things like 'Server X was unable to locate a domain controller for DOMAIN'... or something along those lines.
    Authentication will fail and users will not be able to log in.
    I don't think anyone would recommend running an AD domain with only one DC. If for some reason you absolutely have to run in a setup like this be sure to have a secure local account with sysadmin access created for emergencies. Always ensure that a VERY STRONG sa password is configured and stored securely.
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 10:23 PM

All replies

• You will see authentication errors that contain things like 'Server X was unable to locate a domain controller for DOMAIN'... or something along those lines.
    Authentication will fail and users will not be able to log in.
    I don't think anyone would recommend running an AD domain with only one DC. If for some reason you absolutely have to run in a setup like this be sure to have a secure local account with sysadmin access created for emergencies. Always ensure that a VERY STRONG sa password is configured and stored securely.
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 10:23 PM
  •  Can Windows account user credentials be "cached" somehow? I think this is possible with Windows profiles but it may or may not apply to SQL server
    Wednesday, December 17, 2008 5:55 PM