how to migrating sharepoint site? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I want to move one sharepoint server over another.

could someone please tell me is it require those both to have same versions of Sharepoint servers ? (On WSS 3.0- 2007)

What would be the destination ?

Thank you.

~pjb
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Saturday, September 10, 2011 6:03 AM Don't try to push your posts with trailing ... in the Title. Just ask the question
    Friday, September 9, 2011 6:36 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I am bit confused with your statements here.

Are you planning to transfer any date (Ex Site) from one sharepoint server to other one with those versions?

Or you are joining a server with higher version to your farm?

The first one can be done with no issue , you can take backup of the site and can restore it to destination server farm.

For the second one I would suggest that it is recommended to have all servers with same versions of sharepoint installation.

I hope this will help you out. 

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Friday, September 9, 2011 8:50 PM
  • I agree with Rahul. Please migrate the SharePoint server to another server with the same version. Then upgrade the new server in case you want to do it.

Thanks,
    Jinchun Chen

Jinchun Chen
    Forum Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff AT microsoft.com(Please replace AT with @)
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Monday, September 12, 2011 6:00 AM URL removed as it was for upgrade to SP 2010 and therefore a) off-topic b) not relevant
    Monday, September 12, 2011 2:40 AM
  • Thanks you guys for resposnse..

Some confusion..apologies for that..Its the subsite I am working on..

But the problem is I am not farm admin and I have just full control over sharepoint site.(subsite)

the next problem I am facing is I want to use template from sp2007 wss to move our customized views and tabs over new site..

the destination is also sp2007. but the site templates and templates options are totally missing from galelries.

Thanks!

~pjb
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 4:38 PM