Failed to create the log file.... The log definition has been disabled RRS feed

• Question

• User2025037019 posted

Hi, I saw the post below about nothing showing up in the advanced log directory, and this is a very active webserver. and I have the same situation here.  Here is my setup:

IIS version: 7.5

IIS Manager Console:

Select-->Server-->Advanced Logging (Under "IIS)-->Open Feature(right pannel)-->Enable Advanced Logging
    Select-->Server-->Advanced Logging (Under "IIS)-->Open Feature(right pannel)-->Edit Log Directory

Both server and default log directories are set to "D:\inetpub\logs\LogFiles\AdvancedLogs" right next to existing logs, with permissions set the same as the regular log directories.

Select-->Server-->Advanced Logging (Under "IIS)-->Open Feature(right pannel)-->Select %COMPUTERNAME%-Server-->Actions-->Edit Log Definition:

Everything is default except "Publish real-time events" and "Write to disk" are both checked.  Click "Apply"

Select-->Default Web Site-->Advanced Logging-->Open Feature-->%COMPUTERNAME%-Server-->Edit Log Definition...

I confirmed that everything is set right, default except "Publish real-time events" and "Write to disk" are selected.

I return to View Log Files... nothing appears

I then restart the default web server.

Nothing

I restart the server itself

Nothing

I restart World Wide Web Services in the Services list

Nothing

I disable IIS Logging (Default Web Site-->Logging-->Open Feature-->Disable)

Nothing

I look at the Event Log, and it spews "Failed to create the log file.... The log definition has been disabled"

So I check the log definition and the console says "enabled" both under the web server and default web site.

Still getting the error, so... I delete the log file and create a new one setup like before and I make sure it is enabled.

Same error.

So, OK, while I keep trying to get this to work, is there any way to FORCE the service to recognize the definition has been enabled?

Thanks!

Friday, July 15, 2011 1:30 PM

All replies

• User989702501 posted

Any other error msgs in event viewer?

Everytimeyou restart the website, IIS will re-read the log def.

Monday, July 18, 2011 1:35 AM
  • User794847411 posted
    Does the IIS_IUSRS group on the Web server have Write permissions to the directory? This is required.
    Friday, August 19, 2011 7:01 PM