Getting an IIS error description RRS feed

• Question

• User1110297989 posted

Hi,

I'm using Server.GetLastError() on my custom 500 error page, and it works fine when there's an ASP error.

But when there's an IIS error such as trying to load an ISAPI module that doesnt exist and things like that, I can't seem to get the cause of the error.

Is there a way to do that or does using custom errors cancels your ability to see IIS configuration errors?

Tuesday, February 6, 2018 8:33 AM

All replies

• User-460007017 posted

Hi SectionOne,

I think if IIS get any configuration error, then it should break the IIS pipeline and the classic asp custom error page should stop working. I didn't find the way to report classic asp and IIS configuration error at the same time. So you should check the IIS configuration with detailed error message before you publish your custom classic asp custom error.

In addition, If your 500 error page didn't return any error page, then you could change the error page to detailed error or enable the failed request tracing.

Best Regards,

Yuk Ding

Wednesday, February 7, 2018 2:54 AM
  • User1110297989 posted

Thanks for the reply,

My custom 500 error page is doing error logging that I implemented.

And when there's an issue such as an ISAPI dll defined that doesn't exist, it doesn't break my custom error definitions. It redirects to my 500 error page just fine, but I have no way to report to my error log what was the specific error.

I guess it's not possible. 

Wednesday, February 7, 2018 11:38 AM
  • User-460007017 posted

Hi SectionOne,

Based on my understanding the application or ISAPI extension detailed error is not come from IIS pipeline. Soy you may not specify the application return detailed 500 error message via IIS configuration.

Best Regards,

Yuk Ding

Wednesday, March 7, 2018 7:52 AM