Automate Access fails on 64-bit RRS feed

• Question

• I have 3 machines -- 64 bit Vista, 32 bit Vista and Windows XP.  Everything below works on both 32 bit machines and fails only on the 64 bit machine.

When I attempt to open an instance of Access from Visual Studio 2008 Express VB code, I get an error "unable to cast COM object of type "Microsoft.Office.Interop.Access.ApplicationClass" to interface type "Microsoft.Office.Interop.Access._Application."

Sure enough, in the Object Browser, the {}_Application interface is missing.  It is there in the 32 bit machines, but not the 64 bit machine.

This is limited to Access.  For Excel, Word and Powerpoint, the {}_Application interface shows in the object browser.

The two Vista machines were loaded with the distributable 2007 PIA's.  The XP machine has Office 2003 and the .NET PIA's were loaded via Add/Remove Programs.

A ClickOnce client package was developed on the XP machine and installed on both Vista machines.  It runs on 32 bit Vista, but not on 64 bit Vista.

Why would this one interface (Microsoft.Office.Interop.Access._Application) be missing on the 64 bit machine only?
    Thursday, December 4, 2008 10:07 AM

Answers

All replies