none
Can't select individual lines in VS merge tool (2015, update 3, git)

Question

• VS 2015, update 3, using git 2.11

I can't seem to get the VS merge tool to work correctly; it only gives me the choice of choosing *all* lines in the source, or *all* lines in the target, instead of being able to pick-and-choose from the differences. Example:

http://imgur.com/R0izxFu

Using compare, however, the diff tool correctly identifies changed lines only:

http://imgur.com/WIro3CP

Further, I can use the command line git tools to do a merge and using the merge tool there or vim to resolve conflicts works how I expect and am used to (i.e. manually editing among the typical "<<< === >>>" separated commit lines).

Not sure what I'm missing; the tutorial (https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/docs/git/tutorial/merging) suggests that I should indeed be able to select individual lines in the merge tool.

Forgive imgur links; forum work allow me to upload yet, it seems.

Friday, February 03, 2017 8:26 PM

All replies

• Hi Nicholas, 

Welcome to MSDN forum.

I really want to help you. Please help upload more clear screenshot which could be convenient for us to detect this issue. And please make sure your images are in right order according to your description. 

Are you using any other merge tools or just the tools of Visual Studio? From outlook of the second image you uploaded which shows a little different from the merge tool in VS. 

Best regards, 

Fletch

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 06, 2017 6:29 AM
  • Forgive me for getting the ordering wrong; copied and pasted the links in the wrong order.

The second link is indeed the VS mergetool, but the panes are set to have the result in the center, instead of the default bottom. I'll try to upload later on.

Monday, February 06, 2017 7:31 PM
  • Hi Nicholas,

It's okay.  I'll wait for the update

Best regards,

Fletch

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 07, 2017 1:07 AM
  • Fletch:

What update are you waiting for? @NicholasSCraig explained the order of the screenshots. Clearly the order was obvious enough for you to point it out. The screenshots may not be easily legible, but they clearly demonstrate the issue as described: A few lines changed as evidenced by the compare tool is not being merged as a few lines changed. 

This is a real problem for myself as well. Currently, the only work-around I have is to undo the pending changes from the merge and re-merge the branch. Inexplicably, the merge tool can give different results on the subsequent attempts. For large changes, such as merging from sandbox to release branches for a production build, this can take multiple merge and undo cycles to get the merge tool to perform correctly on all the needed files.

It has been 3 months since this question was asked. If you can't provide a useful explanation or solution, please refer this to another who can.

Thanks,

--Phil S-

Tuesday, May 09, 2017 7:13 PM