Sleep/Hibernation fails

Question

• Whenever I close the lid of my laptop or just leave it for more than 10 minutes unattended the OS seems to do a hard power button shutdown, causing a need for a re-start to continue. .I have checked the options for actions when the lid is closed and what happens when I press the power buttons and the lid is set to Sleep and the Power Button set to Shutdown. No amount of changing the options makes a difference to the problem. When re-loaded I get an error message saying that there was an unexpected shutdown and a message needs to be sent to MS for error evaluation.

I am dual-booting with Vista and do not have this problem when Vista is running.

The only thing I can think of is that the ATI Radeon Xpress 1100 video adaptor isn't supported by ATI in Windows 7 and using the legacy software the Catalyst Control Centre doesn't work and has had to be uninstalled (to get rid of an annoying error message occuring  occasionaly) and just leaving the driver.

Any ideas?

Shaun

Thursday, December 01, 2011 1:39 PM

Answers

• I may have hit on something...just maybe. When the computer attempts to restart I am presented with an error message that is too quick to read in one go before disappearing off into the ether! I have now done many restarts and have deciphered the onscreen message. It reads "Your PC ran into a problem that it could not handle and now it needs to restart - System thread exception not handled (HSX-CNXT.SYS)". This is relating to the Conexant modem, so I have downloaded and installed the Conexant Vista modem driver from the Acer web site.

Now to test and see whether it makes any difference to the problems I have been experiencing.

Well, I have closed the lid and it looked like it had shut down. However, when I opened the lid and pressed the power button it came first into the Acer logo screen then straight back into the Lock Screen, so I suppose that is normal behaviour. So far so good!

Now I will test hibernation mode and if that is OK I will try re-installing the ATI Catalyst software and driver.

Well, I have re-installed the Acer/Vista Catalyst software and driver and all seems to be as it should be.

Who would have thought that a fax/modem driver was the problem?

Friday, December 02, 2011 1:04 PM

All replies

• When windows ask to send any report , please let it send . Also, if possible download the latest BIOS version for your device and see if it resolve the problem. For compatibility issues follow:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/troubleshoot-compatibility-issues-in-windows-8-developer-preview.aspx

And if still same issue , please post back model of your Laptop/PC and other drivers and software that has compatibility issues.

• Marked as answer by Silverpulser Thursday, December 01, 2011 2:46 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Silverpulser Thursday, December 01, 2011 5:31 PM
    Thursday, December 01, 2011 1:55 PM
  • I have always responded positively to the error message report requests.

I can confirm that I have the latest (Vista) bios. I checked it with the Acer site.

The notebook is an Acer Aspire 5050 2.0Ghz AMD CPU and ATI Xpress 1100 video. The HD is configured as 2 x drives with Vista on one and Windows 8 on the other with dual boot set up by Windows 8 during installation.

At present I have no additional software over the original Windows 8 files. Installation was from the ISO burned to DVD with ImgBurn. The version is 32bit without the developer options.

Thursday, December 01, 2011 3:16 PM
  • Please try the following ATI link:

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Legacy/Pages/integrated_vista32.aspx?type=2.7&product=2.7.2.3.2&lang=English

It also says: 'AMD’s DirectX 9 ATI Radeon graphics accelerators are not officially supported under Windows 7. If the user chooses to, they can install the ATI Catalyst Windows Vista graphics driver under Windows 7'.

I had ATI Radeon Xpress 200 on one of my PC's until I added ATI Radeon HD 5450. WDP worked slow but reasonably well with the driver supplied by Windows update for Xpress 200.

Irfan

• Edited by Irfanfare Thursday, December 01, 2011 3:25 PM to complete the reply
    Thursday, December 01, 2011 3:17 PM
  • Thanks but that was the link to the first Catalyst driver that I tried and it failed for me. The graphics driver seemed to work OK but the Catalyst Control Centre didn't.

I have now installed the older Vista Catalyst software from the Acer site which is Catalyst version 10.2 and driver packaging version 8.593. Now the Catalyst Control Centre seems to be working OK, as does the video driver. However after installation completed and all seemed OK I tried putting the laptop into sleep mode and it came up with an "unexpected error" message and said it needed to re-start. The computer then closed down but failed to re-start. I had to press the power button to re-start it and it loaded in as normal with the usual message requesting permission to report the error on the desktop screen.

Sigh...........

Thursday, December 01, 2011 5:42 PM
  • You may try updating it through the Device Manager and choose 'Search automatically for updated driver software' so that you may get the one supplied by Microsoft. It helped in my case.
    Irfan
    Friday, December 02, 2011 12:47 AM
  • I am not at all SURE that the video driver/Catalyst Control Centre is the problem with my laptop going into sleep/hibernation mode. Did you have a problem with this?

I now have the same ATI Catalyst software and driver on both Vista and Windows 8 on the same machine. Sleep/Hibernation via the lid or anything else for that matter works fine in Vista but not on my installation of Windows 8.

Something is upsetting the system on entering sleep/hibernation mode and I am stumped at the moment as to what to try next. I could try a format and re-istall Windows 8 but that seems excessive at the moment.

Friday, December 02, 2011 9:35 AM
  • My HP Pavilion 1322in desktop came pre-installed with XP, had this problem when I upgraded to Win7 HP. I had trouble resuming the PC from Sleep, besides the screen would flicker for a while with each startup before the desktop appeared, was not able to watch Youtube videos on full screen for more than a few minutes so I had to use the Magnifier. Later, with updated driver the Sleep problem disappeared but the flickering and video issue remained. When I dual booted with WDP, all Win7 problems remained. Hence the decision to add ATI Radeon HD 5450. i am now working with the driver I got with the update and not the one that's on the disk supplied by ATI, and without the Catalyst

Irfan
    Friday, December 02, 2011 10:26 AM
  • OK,I get the picture with your previous problem. Unfortunately I cannot replace my video adaptor so easily as it's a laptop with the graphics built in. I see that when I look more closely at the information regarding my graphics software etc that the Vista version is an earlier version than the one they are now offering for download on the Acer web site. That makes it difficult to try out the earlier software, unless somehow I can point my Windows 8 to install the same driver software that is on Vista in the same machine on the other drive.

I notice, in fact, that the same error message occurs not only when requesting sleep/hibernation mode but also when I boot into Vista from the Windows 8 dual boot screen. It also occurs when I request a re- start from Windows 8.

Friday, December 02, 2011 10:58 AM
  • Why not try to roll it back or Disable through the Device Manager- Display Adapter-Right-click-Properties-Driver- Roll Back/Uninstall/Disable and then Update it to the one supplied by Microsoft Update ?
    Irfan
    Friday, December 02, 2011 11:24 AM
  • I have now uninstalled the Catalyst software and driver and now operating on the Windows basic video driver. Unfortunately I am still getting the same behaviour e.g. closing the lid results in the computer shutting down and after powering back up it shows an error report. Windows does not find a suitable ATI driver if I go into Device Driver/Update; presumably because the Windows basic driver is already the most up to date. When I had the Xpress driver running driver update said I already had the most suitable driver, no matter which one I was running at the time!
    Friday, December 02, 2011 11:47 AM
  • I may have hit on something...just maybe. When the computer attempts to restart I am presented with an error message that is too quick to read in one go before disappearing off into the ether! I have now done many restarts and have deciphered the onscreen message. It reads "Your PC ran into a problem that it could not handle and now it needs to restart - System thread exception not handled (HSX-CNXT.SYS)". This is relating to the Conexant modem, so I have downloaded and installed the Conexant Vista modem driver from the Acer web site.

Now to test and see whether it makes any difference to the problems I have been experiencing.

Well, I have closed the lid and it looked like it had shut down. However, when I opened the lid and pressed the power button it came first into the Acer logo screen then straight back into the Lock Screen, so I suppose that is normal behaviour. So far so good!

Now I will test hibernation mode and if that is OK I will try re-installing the ATI Catalyst software and driver.

Well, I have re-installed the Acer/Vista Catalyst software and driver and all seems to be as it should be.

Who would have thought that a fax/modem driver was the problem?

Friday, December 02, 2011 1:04 PM
  • Great job, Silverpulser,

you have had your eureka moment and you earned it, hope it stays that way.

Irfan
    Saturday, December 03, 2011 1:25 AM
  • Thanks Irfan. I expected some issues, especially as Acer do not support Windows 7 on my laptop (actually it runs rather well for every day tasks and loads in quickly). A data/fax modem is not an essential piece of equipment for most home users these days and I hope that Microsoft finds a way to just disable this when a problem is encountered rather than bringing down the usability of the laptop's normal features.

Right, I'm off to do a bit of geocaching and enjoy some sunshine while it lasts.

Saturday, December 03, 2011 2:34 PM
  • Yes Silverpulser,

Fax is rarely used now, even in enterprises, I guess that's the reason they have linked it with Scan, the application is named Windows Fax and Scan, I use the app for my Scanner. Your sunshine is likely to last, there rarely is a computer issue that can't be resolved.
    Keep writing on this forum.

Irfan
    Saturday, December 03, 2011 5:24 PM