none
Converting Visual FoxPro .DBF file to a FoxPro 2.6 .DBF file RRS feed

• Question

• How can a Visual FoxPro .DBF file be converted to a FoxPro 2.6 .DBF file?  I have a three field database--two character and one numeric field--which I created in Visual FoxPro.  I would like to use it in my old FoxPro 2.6 program and I get an error message that it is not a FoxPro database.  All of the Forum comments I have seen discuss going the other way, from 2.6 to Visual.

623bookends

Sunday, July 16, 2017 9:53 PM

Answers

• 1. Why don't you create the DBF with FP2.6 in the first place? You havea  guarantee your dbf is legacy and VFP will be able to read and write to it, too.

2. You should COPY TO some.dbf TYPE FOX2X to get some 2.x compatible file, that's the best from that side.

I would go route #1 and have a permanent table for data transfer between the worlds. There is nothing special to do in VFP6,7,8,9 to use legacy DBFs, but it's likely you don't get 100% compatibility in your legacy fox with TYEP FOX2X.

If you already have that dbf but need it empty, simply make a file copy and zap that. There is no need to create new DBFs from VFP for Windows.

Bye, Olaf.

Olaf Doschke - http://www.doschke.name

Monday, July 17, 2017 7:53 AM