none
(ADF V2) Passing Dynamic Content to Linked Service

Question

• How do I specify a dynamic database name for a linked service?  I am using ADF V2 and the source and sink databases reside in Azure Sql Database.

The pipeline I'm building needs to iterate through 13 Clients (each having their own source and sink database) and populate their staging area.  How can I define just one Linked Service having a dynamic database name that gets updated as I iterate through each client.  Is this possible?

Below are some of the activities I'm using. My pipeline is working well for iterating through the tables.  Now, I just need to add the [For Each Client] logic.

Linked Service has an Advanced section where dynamic content can be specified.  Is this where I can achieve that?  If so, how do I specify a dynamic database name.  Also, will exporting/importing the ARM template have issues as a result of this change?

• Edited by zl34 Tuesday, June 26, 2018 5:07 PM
    Monday, June 25, 2018 3:49 PM

All replies

• I don't see how you can create a Linked Service with a variable as a placeholder for the database name, so I would say this is not a supported configuration.
    Sunday, July 1, 2018 8:08 PM
  • Currently, you can only supply dynamic database table names within the same Database server.

You cannot use dynamic content in Linked Service right now. But you can in the dataset. 

dataset-param

Tuesday, July 3, 2018 9:51 AM
  • I see that.  Thanks for your reply.  Someone suggested it may be doable via a REST API.  I have not looked into that yet.  What about a Custom Activity?

What is the Dynamic Content (in the Linked Service) used for?

• Edited by zl34 Thursday, July 5, 2018 2:50 PM
    Thursday, July 5, 2018 2:47 PM