Question about SAS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

We store our SQL database backups in blob containers.  Occasionally we need to share a blob with an external company so that they can do some development work using the data.  I can see how to share an entire container and a specific blob but not the "virtual" folders and I wondered if it was possible.

In this example the container is the instance, then the "virtual" folders are instance, database etc. 

server1\instance1\database\year\month\db_backup.bak 

I would like to generate a SAS at the \database\ level in this example. 

Any ideas? 

Thanks

Monday, December 18, 2017 1:24 PM

Answers

• There does not appear to be a way to get the least for a specific folder.  What you could do is write a PowerShell that iterates through all the items in a particular folder and grant access to them (although it would be a separate SAS for each one) which is not ideal but would work.

I think in your case you would be better off creating a new contain for the files that need to be exposed and get a SAS for the container.   You could automate this process with a script (although it may take a while to move a file from a folder to a container) and then have it move back when you are done with the files if you need to keep them in the proper folders.

Gary A. Bushey

Monday, December 18, 2017 2:16 PM

All replies

• There does not appear to be a way to get the least for a specific folder.  What you could do is write a PowerShell that iterates through all the items in a particular folder and grant access to them (although it would be a separate SAS for each one) which is not ideal but would work.

I think in your case you would be better off creating a new contain for the files that need to be exposed and get a SAS for the container.   You could automate this process with a script (although it may take a while to move a file from a folder to a container) and then have it move back when you are done with the files if you need to keep them in the proper folders.

Gary A. Bushey

Monday, December 18, 2017 2:16 PM

• I think in your case you would be better off creating a new contain for the files that need to be exposed and get a SAS for the container. 

Thanks, that's a nice simple and easy to manage solution. 

Monday, December 18, 2017 9:14 PM