How to create link pages (read more links) RRS feed

• Question

• On my home page I am displaying some news. Every news has "read more" button clicking on which will take user to news detail page. I was thinking about doing in SharePoint like following. Please let me know if my approach is right or you do things differently.

1. Create a list at back end that will hold news

2. Create a web part on home page where let's say top 5 news will be displayed form that list with "read more" links. The link will be something like:

http://myserver/mysite/English/Pages/News.aspx?id=5

3. For news detail, create another page to which we will pass the ID of news through GET (as shown in previous step)

4. Create web part for that news detail page which will take that ID, and then read list to display news detail

Is this how it is done in SharePoint?

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 12:58 PM

Answers

• Suggestions from my side using OOTB features:

Create pages with the full news.

Create a list with news summary and page link

Use a list view web part to show up the summary and links to the pages.

Else

Create pages with news, use summary links web part to show up the links in the home page.

Else 

you can use announcements web part or content query web part also...

You can even go for custom development too.. but personally I won't do it as we have this many OOTB options..

Hope this helps..

sharing is learning Whenever you see a reply and if you think is helpful, click "Vote As Helpful"! And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the question of the thread, click "Mark As Answer"

Thursday, April 11, 2013 6:47 PM
  • Hi!

If you use an Announcements list (or any other list in SharePoint) the link to post will be /Lists/Announcements/Forms/DispForm.aspx?ID=1 where ID is the ID if the listitem.

If you have a custom Visual WebPart I assume you get a collection of SPListItem's though SPQuery or something similar?

Check the answer on this post and you will see how to get the url while you got your ListItems.
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointdevelopmentlegacy/thread/2be88c8b-812b-4574-8c2c-965cedd2f199/

Saturday, April 13, 2013 4:49 PM
  • try this URL

/Lists/Announcements/DispForm.aspx?ID=1

Sunday, April 14, 2013 7:29 AM
  • Sunday, April 14, 2013 11:30 AM

All replies

• Suggestions from my side using OOTB features:

Create pages with the full news.

Create a list with news summary and page link

Use a list view web part to show up the summary and links to the pages.

Else

Create pages with news, use summary links web part to show up the links in the home page.

Else 

you can use announcements web part or content query web part also...

You can even go for custom development too.. but personally I won't do it as we have this many OOTB options..

Hope this helps..

sharing is learning Whenever you see a reply and if you think is helpful, click "Vote As Helpful"! And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the question of the thread, click "Mark As Answer"

Thursday, April 11, 2013 6:47 PM
  • Hi frank,

I have seen once the same requirement.. we created a content query webpart on our home page and displayed the recent news w.r.t to created date and we provided the link for the news..
    we displayed the detailed news on another page. that link in CQWP connects the detailed news..

Hope this helps..

Friday, April 12, 2013 5:19 AM
  • Ok let's say I want to use visual web part which will also help me in learning.

I created a list named "Announcements" with two columns Title and Desc.

I entered a couple of records in it.

I only want to show last added item in that list on home page.

So I created a web part in which I am showing last added item but problem is how do I find LINK of that item which will take user to its detail page when someone clicks on "Read More"

So basically I am trying to find ID or URL of that particular item which I am displaying in my web part.

Normally in other languages we do something like news_detail.aspx?id=23

Saturday, April 13, 2013 12:27 PM
  • Hi!

If you use an Announcements list (or any other list in SharePoint) the link to post will be /Lists/Announcements/Forms/DispForm.aspx?ID=1 where ID is the ID if the listitem.

If you have a custom Visual WebPart I assume you get a collection of SPListItem's though SPQuery or something similar?

Check the answer on this post and you will see how to get the url while you got your ListItems.
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointdevelopmentlegacy/thread/2be88c8b-812b-4574-8c2c-965cedd2f199/

Saturday, April 13, 2013 4:49 PM
  • I tried the URL you gave above but it says "404 File not found"

I have created a custom list by the name of "Announcements"

Sunday, April 14, 2013 7:17 AM
  • try this URL

/Lists/Announcements/DispForm.aspx?ID=1

Sunday, April 14, 2013 7:29 AM
  • This one worked. But the page design is totally different from my site design so I guess I will have to work on that. Besides there is no option to apply "page layout" on this page.
    Sunday, April 14, 2013 8:36 AM
  • this using default master page...

if you have your own master page, you have to change that default master page

Sunday, April 14, 2013 8:48 AM
  • But shouldn't changing master page for this will also change master page for all other pages? Because if I understand this is "system master page"?
    Sunday, April 14, 2013 9:55 AM
  • Yes...it will change all
    Sunday, April 14, 2013 10:02 AM
  • Is there a way to change look and feel of this page only?
    Sunday, April 14, 2013 10:18 AM
  • i think if you use model dialog window to open this page, then their is no customization needed (it will fit all design)
    Sunday, April 14, 2013 10:28 AM
  • Sorry to bother you again but how do I open model dialog window when someone clicks on "Read More". Is this some SharePoint specific dialog window which can be opened using some keyword/code?
    Sunday, April 14, 2013 11:05 AM
  • Sunday, April 14, 2013 11:30 AM
  • Hi!

If you want to create real news pages with Page Layouts you need to use the publishing feature and the Pages Library. For this to work you need the SharePoint standard or Enterprise license and not Foundation. (not sure what version you are using). But creating these takes some more job than an announcement-list.

Sunday, April 14, 2013 8:05 PM