none
Microsoft .net framework RRS feed

• Question

• I have a very old PC (2003) with Windows XP. I wiped the drive clean awhile ago because I kept getting blue screen & freeze ups. Once restored, it was running well but still had minimal space left after updating everything. I needed to update my maps in Garmin and had to install .net framework to do so. After checking, I've added more than 428MB in various .net updates and service packs. If I uninstall the Garmin program, can I uninstall all that .net to free up some room?
    Sunday, October 16, 2011 1:20 AM

Answers

• pattiinohio,

Yes you can but you'll need to make sure you uninstall things in order for the .NET framework 3.5, 3.0, and 2.0 frameworks.  Those 3 are actually under the same "CLR" so they are all related to each other and need to be carefully removed one after another.  The way to remove those is detailed here:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/08/01/8803442.aspx

So really in general you'll want to remove the most recent to earliest.  So just to be safe start with removing the most recent .net framework 4.0 (if you have that installed) and moving down to finally removing .net framework 1.1.  

Tom Overton
    • Marked as answer by pattiinohio Monday, October 17, 2011 4:48 PM
    Sunday, October 16, 2011 2:09 AM

All replies

• pattiinohio,

Yes you can but you'll need to make sure you uninstall things in order for the .NET framework 3.5, 3.0, and 2.0 frameworks.  Those 3 are actually under the same "CLR" so they are all related to each other and need to be carefully removed one after another.  The way to remove those is detailed here:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/08/01/8803442.aspx

So really in general you'll want to remove the most recent to earliest.  So just to be safe start with removing the most recent .net framework 4.0 (if you have that installed) and moving down to finally removing .net framework 1.1.  

Tom Overton
    • Marked as answer by pattiinohio Monday, October 17, 2011 4:48 PM
    Sunday, October 16, 2011 2:09 AM
  • Hi Pattiinohio,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

Just as Tom put it, technically, you can remove them all, but please ensure all your left programs and applications do not need .NET Frameworks. If some application or programs requires .NET Framework, you will find they are not work after uninstall.

If you have any other concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, October 17, 2011 10:10 AM