Why does the assert macro has to expand to `((void)0)` in a release build? RRS feed

• Question

• In the picture below you can see (in the Output window) that the macro assert was expanded in a release build, as `((void)0)`. This is in accordance with the definition of the assert macro in <assert.h>, as can be seen in the right portion of the picture. The red squiggles in the picture are probably a bug from Intellisense, as the code compiles without a problem. 

Figure 1

To show that the assert macro definition in a release build does not necessarily has to expand to `(void(0))` I made a copy of the file assert.h in the library to the project directory with a small change: I erased the `(void(0))` from the macro definition. You can see this in the right portion of the next picture below. I then compiled the code with #include "assert.h" in place of #include <assert.h> used previously. You can see that the macro expansion in the Output window changed from `((void)0)` to nothing, and the code also compiled correctly without any problem.

Then, why does the assert macro has to expand to `((void)0)` in a release build?

Tuesday, May 5, 2020 2:41 PM

Answers

• Your version would get a syntax error in (admittedly contrived) cases like

DoSomething(), assert("Good");

Igor Tandetnik

• Marked as answer by Belloc Tuesday, May 5, 2020 6:31 PM
    Tuesday, May 5, 2020 5:31 PM
  • My guess would be, to prevent nonsensical code from compiling. E.g.

int x = f(),
    assert(x);

Here, I accidentally typed a comma where I meant a semicolon. With ((void)0) this would fail to compile. With 0, this would succeed and silently change the meaning.

Igor Tandetnik

• Marked as answer by Belloc Monday, May 11, 2020 1:47 PM
    Sunday, May 10, 2020 9:32 PM
  • Also remember that while the expression is more complicated, the same thing happens for the debug definition of assert.

#define assert(expression) (void)(                                                       \
        (!!(expression)) ||                                                              \
        (_wassert(_CRT_WIDE(#expression), _CRT_WIDE(__FILE__), (unsigned)(__LINE__)), 0) \
    )

The void is there for the reason Igor guesses, basically, it stops these macros from being used when they shouldn't. You should think of these as functions with a void return type.

This is a signature. Any samples given are not meant to have error checking or show best practices. They are meant to just illustrate a point. I may also give inefficient code or introduce some problems to discourage copy/paste coding. This is because the major point of my posts is to aid in the learning process.

• Marked as answer by Belloc Monday, May 11, 2020 1:51 PM
    Monday, May 11, 2020 8:54 AM

All replies

• I didn't check references, but it appears to be Standards requirement.

See https://stackoverflow.com/questions/56268229/why-does-assert-macro-have-value-even-with-ndebug

Tuesday, May 5, 2020 3:01 PM
  • Your version would get a syntax error in (admittedly contrived) cases like

DoSomething(), assert("Good");

Igor Tandetnik

• Marked as answer by Belloc Tuesday, May 5, 2020 6:31 PM
    Tuesday, May 5, 2020 5:31 PM
  • Brilliant. Thank you.

But why can't it be just

#define assert(expression) 0

instead of

#define assert(expression) ((void)0)

• Edited by Belloc Tuesday, May 5, 2020 6:35 PM
    Tuesday, May 5, 2020 6:31 PM
  • This answers my last question on my previous post.

GCC emits the warning "statement has no effect" for any replacement-list different than `(void(0))` in the directive

#define assert(expression) ((void)0)

In this answer in SO the OP says: "When you ignore something which is nothing, it is not considered a problem by GCC--and with good reason, since casting to void is an idiomatic way to ignore a variable explicitly in C and C++.."

As you can see here, GCC emits the warning mentioned above, when the `assert` is defined with `0` instead of `((void)0)`.

Sunday, May 10, 2020 8:03 PM

int x = f(),
    assert(x);

Here, I accidentally typed a comma where I meant a semicolon. With ((void)0) this would fail to compile. With 0, this would succeed and silently change the meaning.

Igor Tandetnik

• Marked as answer by Belloc Monday, May 11, 2020 1:47 PM
    Sunday, May 10, 2020 9:32 PM
  • Also remember that while the expression is more complicated, the same thing happens for the debug definition of assert.

#define assert(expression) (void)(                                                       \
        (!!(expression)) ||                                                              \
        (_wassert(_CRT_WIDE(#expression), _CRT_WIDE(__FILE__), (unsigned)(__LINE__)), 0) \
    )

The void is there for the reason Igor guesses, basically, it stops these macros from being used when they shouldn't. You should think of these as functions with a void return type.

This is a signature. Any samples given are not meant to have error checking or show best practices. They are meant to just illustrate a point. I may also give inefficient code or introduce some problems to discourage copy/paste coding. This is because the major point of my posts is to aid in the learning process.

• Marked as answer by Belloc Monday, May 11, 2020 1:51 PM
    Monday, May 11, 2020 8:54 AM

int x = f(),
    assert(x);

Igor Tandetnik

Yes you are right. This is the correct answer, but you don't need the comma in the example. An initialization like

int x = assert(x);
    would behave the same way, i.e., it would correctly fail to compile with `(void(0))`, but it would incorrectly succeed with `0`.

Monday, May 11, 2020 1:46 PM
  • @Darren Rowe

Absolutely right!

• Edited by Belloc Monday, May 11, 2020 1:53 PM
    Monday, May 11, 2020 1:51 PM