Azure Batch - Diagnostics RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

1.)I am trying out the azure batch service and I wonder if there is a way to do a diagnostic log on batch service and does it go into WADlogs?
    2.) Is there a way to schedule the batch service using azure scheduler?

Please mark the response as answers if it solves your question or vote as helpful if you find it helpful. http://thoughtorientedarchitecture.blogspot.com/

Thursday, October 8, 2015 9:19 PM

Answers

• Hi Haripraghash,

Regarding the requirement for application level logging - we are still investigating WAD logging for you, but I wanted to mention that Batch Apps does support application level logging.  However:

• As Matthew has mentioned elsewhere, Batch Apps is currently closed to new accounts as we integrate its features into Batch.
    • Batch Apps does not log to WAD, so you would need to get SCOM to call the Batch Apps API to retrieve logs.

So if the WAD option falls through, and you have a firm requirement for application level logging, and you think SCOM would be able to use the API (and you don't mind going through a migration to Batch when integration is complete), then I can put you in touch with somebody to discuss whether we could onboard you to Batch Apps.

• Marked as answer by Haripraghash Tuesday, October 13, 2015 9:11 PM
    Monday, October 12, 2015 10:28 PM

All replies

• Hi Haripraghash,

For #1, can you share more with us about your intended use case (i.e. what functionality you're looking for and maybe a high level of how you would use those logs?).  We are checking with the WAD team if this is supported and will get back to you.

For #2, I am not that familiar with Azure Scheduler, but we have a REST API and a client library, so if all you want to do is interact with our service via REST I am pretty sure that Azure Scheduler supports that.  There might be some interesting questions about credentials management though (not sure how they handle that).  Depending on what you want we ourselves offer a "CloudJobSchedule" which allows you to specify a recurrence interval so if you want to run a job once every 24h for example we already support that via the CloudJobSchedule APIs.

Hopefully that helps some.
    Friday, October 9, 2015 8:14 PM
  • Hi Mathew,

Thank you for your response.

The use case here is, I want to add some application level logging into the WADlog table. These are required for SCOM monitoring.

Please mark the response as answers if it solves your question or vote as helpful if you find it helpful. http://thoughtorientedarchitecture.blogspot.com/

Sunday, October 11, 2015 10:07 AM
  • Hi Haripraghash,

Regarding the requirement for application level logging - we are still investigating WAD logging for you, but I wanted to mention that Batch Apps does support application level logging.  However:

• As Matthew has mentioned elsewhere, Batch Apps is currently closed to new accounts as we integrate its features into Batch.
    • Batch Apps does not log to WAD, so you would need to get SCOM to call the Batch Apps API to retrieve logs.

So if the WAD option falls through, and you have a firm requirement for application level logging, and you think SCOM would be able to use the API (and you don't mind going through a migration to Batch when integration is complete), then I can put you in touch with somebody to discuss whether we could onboard you to Batch Apps.

• Marked as answer by Haripraghash Tuesday, October 13, 2015 9:11 PM
    Monday, October 12, 2015 10:28 PM
  • I would rather use the Batch Core API to trigger the batching and host it in a web role and use a scheduler to invoke the web role regularly. 

But thank you for your information and support. Using Batch Apps for now and then moving to another approach pretty soon doesnt work for me.

Tuesday, October 13, 2015 9:11 PM