How to ask a question efficiently in TechNet forum RRS feed

• General discussion

• Thank you for posting in TechNet forum. The online problem solving can be relatively time consuming because it may demand several messages back and force to fully understand the symptom and background, especially at the very beginning. Here are a few suggestions that help you get the best answer to your question as quickly as possible.

When You Ask

1. Selecting a good title which summarizes the specific problem you have. It will be the one of the main driving forces for others to want to actually read your item. Choosing a badly-formatted title will drive people away, thinking that since the title is so badly written, so must be the information and the question within the thread.

2. Provide all the necessary information in your initial post. The following information would be very helpful:

- Symptom description: Detailed description of the problem. If you receive any error messages, please let us know the exact error WORD BY WORD.

- Environment: The system environment, such as your OS/application version, your network topology, and your domain environment, etc.

- Any recent relevant configuration change(s): If the issue started to occur after installing any application/updates or changing the configuration, please let us know.

- Any additional information. Tell what you have done prior to asking your question. This will help us understand that you've done so far.

3. Write in a clear language. Avoiding spelling mistakes or grammatical errors. Don't type IN ALL CAPS, which in most cases is read as shouting and considered rude.

4. Keep with the same thread. Do not refer to a post you made last year, and above all, Please come back. There are hundreds and thousands of posts where we have seen people given great and wonderfully long answers yet no reply from the original poster.

5. Be courteous to reply, even if it's to say. "I've given up" or thanks that worked. (This helps the whole community when you do this, and makes the people who donate time, warm and fuzzies.)

When answered

Give Positive Feedback. Once you've received a correct answer to your question, either from a Microsoft employee, an MVP, or the community in general, pleases replies that the issue or question has been answered. And if possible mark the solution as answered: This step is important, since it lets other people benefit from your posts.

Friday, October 14, 2011 3:29 AM

All replies

• Thanks for your suggestion.From
    http://technobitly.com 

lot of thanks

• Edited by technobitly Thursday, October 27, 2011 7:36 PM
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 7:28 PM
  • How do I report someone that is attempting to compromise my Hotmail?
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 4:40 PM
  • Thanks for your suggestion
    Saturday, December 3, 2011 1:01 PM
  • Thank you for your sharing  ! 
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 7:24 AM
  • Thanks for sharing this useful information.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 4:07 PM
  • Thank you very much for your suggestion.

Biometrics

Sunday, January 22, 2012 9:00 PM
  • Thank You for posting Useful Information
    http://tauedu.org/ http://www.tauedu.org/masters_public_health.html
    Thursday, February 2, 2012 8:58 AM
  • Thanks for posting Information
    http://tauedu.org/ http://www.tauedu.org/masters_public_health.html
    Thursday, February 2, 2012 12:24 PM
  • Thanks for your suggestion
    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 9:26 AM
  • Thanks for info
    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 9:26 AM
  • Good
    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 10:31 AM
  • These helps me a lot. I can now start asking and at the same time answering the questions whenever possible. These guidelines will lead me into a good talking and conversation thru posting.Thank you so much.

vagumiran

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 10:12 AM
  • thanks and you should download microsoft outlook 2010

Thursday, February 23, 2012 7:25 PM
  • thanks and you should download microsoft outlook 2010

Thursday, February 23, 2012 7:25 PM
  • Thanks very much for the suggestion . . . /
    Monday, February 27, 2012 7:00 AM
  • Thank you for posting in TechNet forum. The online problem solving can be relatively time consuming because it may demand several messages back and force to fully understand the symptom and background, especially at the very beginning. Here are a few suggestions that help you get the best answer to your question as quickly as possible.

When You Ask

1. Selecting a good title which summarizes the specific problem you have. It will be the one of the main driving forces for others to want to actually read your item. Choosing a badly-formatted title will drive people away, thinking that since the title is so badly written, so must be the information and the question within the thread.

2. Provide all the necessary information in your initial post. The following information would be very helpful:

- Symptom description: Detailed description of the problem. If you receive any error messages, please let us know the exact error WORD BY WORD.

- Environment: The system environment, such as your OS/application version, your network topology, and your domain environment, etc.

- Any recent relevant configuration change(s): If the issue started to occur after installing any application/updates or changing the configuration, please let us know.

- Any additional information. Tell what you have done prior to asking your question. This will help us understand that you've done so far.

3. Write in a clear language. Avoiding spelling mistakes or grammatical errors. Don't type IN ALL CAPS, which in most cases is read as shouting and considered rude.

4. Keep with the same thread. Do not refer to a post you made last year, and above all, Please come back. There are hundreds and thousands of posts where we have seen people given great and wonderfully long answers yet no reply from the original poster.

5. Be courteous to reply, even if it's to say. "I've given up" or thanks that worked. (This helps the whole community when you do this, and makes the people who donate time, warm and fuzzies.)

When answered

Give Positive Feedback. Once you've received a correct answer to your question, either from a Microsoft employee, an MVP, or the community in general, pleases replies that the issue or question has been answered. And if possible mark the solution as answered: This step is important, since it lets other people benefit from your posts.

Thursday, March 8, 2012 7:04 AM
  • You are the one in the picture? You look so funny! imitation tiffany
    Saturday, March 17, 2012 7:13 AM
  • thanks
    Friday, March 23, 2012 4:17 PM
  • good
    Wednesday, March 28, 2012 4:00 AM
  • Thanks for shairing such a help full Information .
    Thursday, April 5, 2012 4:10 PM
  • Thanks for your suggestion..
    Wednesday, April 11, 2012 8:42 AM
  • good tips and information

Learning by Doing

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 11:17 AM
  • I am able to respond to existing threads in the forum, but on the main list, I don't see a button for starting a new item.

I've looked and looked but I don't see any place to ask a new question.  I'm logged in, and have no problem in responding to existing threads.

Specifically, I would like to post a question in the "pre 2010 Designer" forum.

thanks

tracy

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 2:25 PM
  • Does answering a question in a post needs to be approved or something!?

well ive answered questions in some posts but didnt find my answers there!! whats the deal!?

Thursday, April 12, 2012 2:39 PM
  • thanks for your guidelines!!!!
    Monday, April 16, 2012 1:14 PM
  • Thank you for your sharing  ! 
    Monday, May 21, 2012 2:50 PM
  • Thank you definitely a good guide for new members like myself. 
    Thursday, May 31, 2012 3:11 PM
  • thx for your wonderful suggestion.

[url=http://gototibettravel.com]tibet travel[/url]

Friday, June 1, 2012 7:56 AM
  • Thanks for the info.

http://qualityassuranceblog.blogspot.com/

Sunday, June 3, 2012 8:39 AM
  • Thanks for your suggestion.Its really a helpful article.

Thanks

Pramod

http://dotnetaddicted.blogspot.com

Thursday, June 7, 2012 11:26 AM
  • Good information
    Friday, June 15, 2012 6:15 AM
  •   Activation of the phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase (PI3K)-AKT pathway, regulates many normal cellular processes which include cell proliferation, survival, and motility. For these same reasons, the PI3K pathway also plays an important oncogenic role in many cancer types. PI3K signaling pathways can be deregulated by a variety of mechanisms in human tumors.

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 10:00 AM
  • Much appreciated advise.

Thanks

Will

Monday, June 25, 2012 10:01 PM
  • Very Useful Guidlines, Thanks alot.

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 1:12 PM
  • Thank you for all the fantastic support!

portland technology lawyer

Tuesday, July 3, 2012 3:30 AM
  • Thursday, July 5, 2012 9:39 AM
  • Very useful information.Thanks for sharing.
    Thursday, July 26, 2012 4:15 PM
  • Really, a great post to read. This thread will definitely help me to continue my discussion here.

Yami Gautam

Monday, August 13, 2012 8:10 AM
  • Appreciate all the hard work and help. Thanks.

@ http://pdxshuttleportland.com

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 11:09 PM
  • That was so helpful. Thank you for answering.

RVarma

Monday, August 27, 2012 5:48 PM
  • Good suggestion.

Thanks, Srikanth Kammadanam.

Friday, September 28, 2012 6:57 PM
  • Thanx for cautioning.
    Thursday, October 11, 2012 5:47 PM