none
Transparent Label layer has changed - its not transparent anymore ?! RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I've noticed that the transparent label layer (e.g. city names, roads, etc) has changed today, and it is not transparent anymore.

This is the url for transparent labels. But now it is a tile layer with a background. This is creating an issue in production, because now the label layer isnt transparent, and it is blocking out my data layers. 

https://ecn.t2.tiles.virtualearth.net/tiles/ho{quadkey}?g=671&mkt=en-US

Please advise.

Below is a sample. One view without labels and the other with the "new" label layer. (it appears to be partial or in the process of updating)

• Edited by Lan-Lord Thursday, November 19, 2020 3:22 AM
    Thursday, November 19, 2020 3:15 AM

All replies

• Below is
    1. a sample map without labels

2. a sample map with the "new transparent label" layer. 

You can see where if the label layer had a transparent background like the previous version, my map layer data should show through, but since it is not transparent, it blocks out my custom layers

Map without labels

New Transparent Label Layer

• Edited by Lan-Lord Thursday, November 19, 2020 3:24 AM added clarity
    Thursday, November 19, 2020 3:19 AM
  • Hi Lan-Lord,

Can you confirm that you are using the latest valid URL?  You should be getting the URL from the following call: Get Imagery Metadata - Bing Maps | Microsoft Docs. The tile servers do refresh and cycle through endpoints so this could be due to using a stale endpoint.

I have reached out to the team for review.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Thursday, November 19, 2020 5:17 PM
    Owner
  • I'm not using that url, perhaps that spec is newer since we built our maps.

After reading those specs, I don't see how to achieve what I (was) doing. It is requiring an imagery set. I want a blank,empty, or transparent imagery set. How do I get that using the rest URL ?

I need a tileset with a transparent background/landmass and only showing labels. This is so I can put labels over top of my custom ocean layer

See below, I need to layer the following components

3. bing Labels with transparent background (see how the label names extend across land and over the top of the ocean layer?)

2. My custom ocean layers in the middle

1. bing landmass (no labels) on the bottom layer

Labels with transparent background on top of Bing landmass and my custom layer

Thursday, November 19, 2020 5:42 PM
  • Hi Lan-Lord,

The supported method to insert a layer is through our web control as shown here: https://www.bing.com/api/maps/sdkrelease/mapcontrol/isdk/tilelayerquadkey and Add an x/y/zoom format tile layer (bing.com). It does look like you are using the map control already so this may be fairly straightforward.

There is the metadata API to pull back a tile server URL that I pointed you to in my previous reply but that will bring a tile with the labels included so you are better off just leveraging the control layers directly.

You might not be aware but on your site map attribution is missing (See terms of use) on the bottom right corner of the web control.  I am not sure why that is not coming through but maybe it has something to do with your custom scripts? You can see the correct usage in the two links I have provided to the interactive SDK (Bing Maps V8 Interactive SDK).

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Friday, November 20, 2020 10:25 PM
    Owner