Ignore Whitespace compare when performing a TFS DIFF in VS2015 ? RRS feed

• Question

• How do you disable whitespace compare when performing a TFS Diff in VS2015?

Friday, March 4, 2016 6:54 PM

Answers

• Hi Scott, 

Thanks for your reply.

I have edited my initial reply.

In VS 2015, it’s vsDiffMerge.exe. Like below:

Extension: .*

Operation: Compare

Command: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\vsDiffMerge.exe

Arguments: %1 %2 /ignorespace  

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6259405/how-to-ignore-white-space-when-comparing-source-in-visual-studio-tfs

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Proposed as answer by John QiaoModerator Wednesday, March 9, 2016 7:35 AM
    • Marked as answer by scott_m Wednesday, March 9, 2016 10:59 AM
    Monday, March 7, 2016 8:27 AM
  • I added the /ignoreeol and   /ignorespace  command line switches but it made no difference.  The VS2015 diff tool is immensely frustrating due to it's inability to perform proper diff's of Javascript with white spacing differences.

Note, I swapped out the VS diff tool for WinMerge.  WinMerge does a great job of differencing Javascript files with white space differences (it ignores the whitespace diff's like a good diff tool should).

See the following post for the steps of swapping out the VS diff tool for WinMerge:

Winmerge Link

Apparently, there is a microsoft connect issue re: the VS diff tool as well:

MSConnect Issue

• Marked as answer by scott_m Wednesday, March 9, 2016 6:37 PM
    Wednesday, March 9, 2016 6:37 PM

All replies

• Hi Scott,

Thanks for your post.

In your VS 2015>>TOOLS>>Options>>Source Control, add vsDiffMerge.exe tool with /ignorespace argument.

Please refer to the replies in this similar post: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/8cd3c07b-d715-453b-953a-906809f07d10/ignoring-case-when-comparing-with-latest-version?forum=tfsversioncontrol.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Monday, March 7, 2016 6:02 AM
  • I can't find diffmerge.exe.  Which folder does it reside in for VS2015?

Monday, March 7, 2016 7:44 AM
  • Hi Scott, 

Thanks for your reply.

I have edited my initial reply.

In VS 2015, it’s vsDiffMerge.exe. Like below:

Extension: .*

Operation: Compare

Command: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\vsDiffMerge.exe

Arguments: %1 %2 /ignorespace  

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6259405/how-to-ignore-white-space-when-comparing-source-in-visual-studio-tfs

• Proposed as answer by John QiaoModerator Wednesday, March 9, 2016 7:35 AM
    • Marked as answer by scott_m Wednesday, March 9, 2016 10:59 AM
    Monday, March 7, 2016 8:27 AM
  • I added the /ignoreeol and   /ignorespace  command line switches but it made no difference.  The VS2015 diff tool is immensely frustrating due to it's inability to perform proper diff's of Javascript with white spacing differences.

Note, I swapped out the VS diff tool for WinMerge.  WinMerge does a great job of differencing Javascript files with white space differences (it ignores the whitespace diff's like a good diff tool should).

See the following post for the steps of swapping out the VS diff tool for WinMerge:

Winmerge Link

Apparently, there is a microsoft connect issue re: the VS diff tool as well:

MSConnect Issue

• Marked as answer by scott_m Wednesday, March 9, 2016 6:37 PM
    Wednesday, March 9, 2016 6:37 PM