failed to start service on pocket pc RRS feed

• Question

• I have a pockect pc :"DELL AXIM x51v", and try to deploy and run my service on it, but failed.

I have followed the "Microsoft Robotics Studio Documentation - writing services in WinCE" step by step, but encountered the following question:

1. My WinCE do not have command line, so I have to start my service from VS. Is there any other method I can try to start it just in My pocket pc?

2. I tried to browser the state of the service running on pocket pc. I open the IE on my pocket pc and typed "http://localhost:50000". But the messagebox show that "cannot find server or DNS fault" why?

thanks a lot!

Thursday, June 14, 2007 2:11 AM

Answers

• hi, communicating between two nodes on the same PC and across two PCs (CE or XP) is exactly the same. We just use URIs to find the host machine. So in our examples, instead of "localhost" for the host name, use the host name of the remote PC and the correct port and service path. DSS works exactly the same way, it just reads the URI and attempts to resolve it
    Friday, June 22, 2007 2:59 AM

All replies

• Hi Amy, if you have access to a command line prompt (there is a command prompt executable in WinCE, but it might be hard to find if your device is a Windows Mobile device) then you could start cf.dsshost the same way you start dsshost.exe in your pc

On your IE issue: you are certain the cf.dsshost node is running on port 50000, on your ce device? What version of the CE is this?

thanx

g

Thursday, June 14, 2007 6:03 AM
  • Hi George,

thanks for your reply!

I would like to describe my question more clear.

My CE device is a Windows Mobile device based on CE 5.0

Because I can not find the command line prompt on my Windows Mobile device, I start the dss node from pc as following:

1) open cf.simpleExample.csproj in VS;

2)Select "Start External Program" option and fill it out with the following: \Program Files\MSRS\bin\cf.dsshost.exe 

3) In the "Command Line Arguments" put the following:

/p:50000 /t:50001 /m:file:///Program20Files/MSRS/samples/simpleexample/simpleexample.manifest.xml

4) Hit F5 to run the service

5) the "wait icon" on my Windows Mobile device shows it is processing...

5) Open IE on my windows mobile device, and type "http://localhost:50000"

Then the above IE issue appear.

I just want to test the service can be running on my device or not.

I am new to windows mobile, please help me.

thanks a lot.

Thursday, June 14, 2007 8:13 AM
  • on some CE devices we have run into this issue. Remote access works, local does not, over http. But you can debug your service anyway, but setting breakpoint in VS (like your Start() method).

Also, if your CE device has an IP address, you can use the web browser on your PC, to talk to the DSS node running on port 50000 on the CE device.

Thursday, June 14, 2007 4:57 PM
  • thank George!

the program did run to the breakpoint but i still can not be browser it from web. I will keep on trying and let you know the result. Thanks!

Monday, June 18, 2007 1:37 AM
  • please alsy try using http://127.0.0.1:50000 on your CE device, sometimes CE/CF does not resolve localhost properly
    Monday, June 18, 2007 3:20 AM
  • thanks George, but it still doesn't  work.

I tried  http://127.0.0.1:50000, the messagebox shows:"cannot display or download the page because the break of the connect".(but the Pocket PC is still connected to my PC through usb and it got an ip as "169.254.2.1", and can access the normal website)

Thanks for your help.

meanwhile i have another question:

I would like to let the PC service node communicate with the CE service node. For example, run a service node on my Pocket PC and run an orchestration node on my PC. Does MSRS support the event notification from a remote node(CE device) to the Local node(PC)? In the MSRS documentation, I have only find samples about communication between different nodes on the same PC. Please show me some reference on this.

Thanks a lot!

Amy

Thursday, June 21, 2007 3:15 AM
  • hi, communicating between two nodes on the same PC and across two PCs (CE or XP) is exactly the same. We just use URIs to find the host machine. So in our examples, instead of "localhost" for the host name, use the host name of the remote PC and the correct port and service path. DSS works exactly the same way, it just reads the URI and attempts to resolve it
    Friday, June 22, 2007 2:59 AM
  • Great thread going on here.  Very helpful.

I was wondering if someone could perhaps point me in the right direction?  I too am new to Windows Mobile.

Here's my situation: I can run dssnodes on my mobile device, and access the node through the browser on the device (difficult though, because IE on WM downloads the XML file instead of display in the browser) it's all wired together though.  My problem is, I can't access it from my PC.  I try to browse to the node, http://IP_or_hostname:50000 and I get the 404.  Weird.  On the other hand, if I host a node on my PC, I can access it from my device.

I don't know what's going on here.  I'm not running a service (yet) on the device.  I just run a node, (dsshost /p /t) and try to access it with no luck.  I tried using the /h parameter, I also tried using the /s parameter (on the device) still no luck.

Any ideas anyone? 

Also... when I run a node on my device, and don't specify a service to load (just a node), the box that shows the program is running never goes away - unless I open another application.  It's almost like it gets hanged - but it doesn't, because I open IE and can see the node is running.  Weird...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks,

Josh 

Saturday, August 11, 2007 10:54 PM
  • Hi Josh, to access your CE DSS services from any other computer (including a PC), you must ensure that the CE device has a valid IP address. Is this case? can you ping the IP address from your PC?

If you use Windows VIsta things get complicated since depending on netwrk policy (if this is at work) IpSec will prevent the vista machine to talk to the CE device. If IPSEC is disabled, you should be able to talk between them ok.

g

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 2:17 PM
  • Thanks for your reply!

Yes, it's had a valid IP addy.  I've tried it on about three different wireless networks - it had a valid IP, it could access the net, etc - but even then, it was not pingable.  I tried pinging it a number of times and no replies.
    Is there some sort of security feature in WM?  A firewall of some sort that I don't know about?

Thanks for your help.

Josh
    Wednesday, August 15, 2007 1:45 PM