none
Retrieving Unicode characters with MS Query RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.  I am using MS Query to retrieve data into Excel from an Oracle database.  The data contains several different characters (such as degree and diameter symbols) which are stored as Unicode, but the query returns an upside down question mark for all of these characters.  Is there a way to correctly retrieve these characters?  The ODBC driver is Oracle in OraClient11g_home1, version 11.02.00.01.  I've tried it with the 'Force SQL_WCHAR Support' setting on, but it didn't make a difference.  So, I've pretty much exhausted my knowledge now...

Thanks in advance,  Steve

Monday, April 20, 2015 11:48 AM

All replies

• Hi Steve,

Do you use Microsoft Query feature in excel (Data=>From other Sources) or programming to achieve that? If you are programming to achieve that, please provide the detail code.

>> but the query returns an upside down question mark for all of these characters.

Is it in the excel cell or the variable value when debug the code?

On the other hand, for non-programming issue, you could post it to Excel IT Pro Discussions forum.

Regards

Starain

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, April 21, 2015 1:49 AM
  • Hi Starain

Thanks very much for the reply.  I'll ask the question again in the Excel IT Pro forum. There is no code to debug - this isn't a VBA application, it is a table created from 'Get External Data' - 'From Other Sources' - 'From Microsoft Query'. 

In the MS Query window the special characters appear as upside down question marks; in Excel they show as white question marks in a black diamond.  The ASCII code of the character displayed in Excel is '63', and the UNICODE() value is 65533.  This isn't the character that is stored in the Oracle database.

See this screenshot:

Steve

Thursday, April 23, 2015 1:52 PM
  • Hi Steve,

You have post the issue to the Excel IT Pro forum and the URL is https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/baf34158-94f8-4a71-a261-c0190d3c258a/retrieving-unicode-characters-with-ms-query?forum=excel#baf34158-94f8-4a71-a261-c0190d3c258a, so please track that thread.

If you have the issue of excel development (programmatically), please feel free to open thread in Excel for Developers.

Regards

Starain

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, April 24, 2015 1:36 AM
  • Thanks for the advice Starain.  I'll monitor the thread in the Excel IT Pro forum.  I've found the same problem also occurs with Access so I've asked the question in that forum too.

If I don't get anywhere I'll write some VBA code to extract the data and see if that works.

Have a good weekend.

Steve

Friday, April 24, 2015 2:41 PM