How to catch “Unhandled win32 exception occured in AppName [procId].

Question

• Hi All,

Create some simple Windows Store App that works with JSON stored data. After increasing of data amount i start to got a message "Unhandled win32 exception occured in AppName [procId]." - please see pic below:

enter image description here

I try to reduce amount of stored data in JSON file, but after some time of work during debuggin i got this message again. So situation - if i have a lot of data - i can do few operation (few means 5) in app and got this exception, if i have minimun amount of data i can work with app a little bit more (mean 12-17 different operation). Operation means - read from file, save, load pages etc.

googling a little bit and found few possible causes:

1. I must to setup DEP at PC, following next steps:

1) Right click on “My Computer”. Then select “Properties”. 2) Select “Advanced” Tab. 3) Select “Settings” for “Performance”. 4) Select “Data Execution Prevention” Tab. 5) Select option “Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only.” If this option is already selected, click on “OK”, then again click on “OK”. 6) Restart your computer.

Try - not helps

2. Check and enabling just in time debuggin in my VISUAL STUDIO

Try - not helps

3. Check what type of exception can be catched by VS - choose all:

Try - not helps

4. Read this post at MSDN

Found next:

An unhandled win32 exception occurred in <program>. Just-In-Time debugging this exception failed with the following error: The logged in user did not have access to debug the crashing application. This message indicates that Just-In-Time debugging failed because you do not have proper access permissions.

So, mean you do not have proper access permissions.

Try to launch with Administrator rights my App:

Try - not helps

5. Also read a lot posts from here.

Found this and so this MSDN post usefull. Try to add some code to my app:

public MainPage()
        {
            this.InitializeComponent();
            this.navigationHelper = new NavigationHelper(this);
            this.navigationHelper.LoadState += navigationHelper_LoadState;
            this.navigationHelper.SaveState += navigationHelper_SaveState;
            TimeBinding();
            Application.Current.UnhandledException += new UnhandledExceptionEventHandler(MyHandler);
        }

static void MyHandler(object sender, UnhandledExceptionEventArgs args)
        {
            string e = args.Message.ToString();
        }

but nothing catched...

So, try - not helps

Questions:

1. Why I got this message and what possible reasons that I not describe can be root cause for exception like "Unhandled win32 exception occured in AppName [procId]."?
    2. Am I right understand usage of UnhandledException? Maybe i'm wrong with it and so i can't catch required exception (I'm just studing for .NET)?

ThanQ

Ganesh

Friday, July 04, 2014 12:54 PM

Answers

• Hi All,

I am facing this problem for w8.1 using vs2013. And we resolve this problem from our end after update w8.1 as well as vs2013.This is not related to our code,problem may occur for update.

/Ganesh 

• Marked as answer by Ganesh_CN Saturday, July 12, 2014 5:45 AM
    Saturday, July 12, 2014 5:45 AM

All replies

•  I am using c#, Visual studio 2013, Windows Store App
    Friday, July 04, 2014 1:03 PM
  • You have done most  of the things that  one can think of but certainly this  is not helping you. There is only one thing that you can do now is to load MS Symbols in Visual Studio. Visual Studio 2013 Ultimate helps in better debugging.

Without having access to your code it seems to me there is some concurrency issue here, without having source code of crashing app no one will be able to help you. So if symbols do not help then you will have  to post your app.

-- Vishal Kaushik --

Please 'Mark as Answer' if my post answers your question and 'Vote as Helpful' if it helps you. Happy Coding!!!

Friday, July 04, 2014 4:41 PM
  • Hi All,

I am facing this problem for w8.1 using vs2013. And we resolve this problem from our end after update w8.1 as well as vs2013.This is not related to our code,problem may occur for update.

/Ganesh 

• Marked as answer by Ganesh_CN Saturday, July 12, 2014 5:45 AM
    Saturday, July 12, 2014 5:45 AM