Windows bluescreens in Windows Developer Preview may be a driver issue

Answers

• It is better to reset or refresh your PC and then install all updates and then restart your PC and see if error is reproduce or not. When you want to download additional driver download and install it first and then restart your PC and see if there is blue screen or not.

A good way to troubleshoot is to install them one by one.

• Marked as answer by Exiton Sunday, January 08, 2012 5:13 PM
    Sunday, January 08, 2012 10:53 AM

All replies

• Hi Exiton,

can't extract from your minidump, wish you had given more detail. Hope you have downloaded and burned the WDP as given on the MS site here. You may boot from your media, DVD/USB, till you reach the Windows Install now box, instead of clicking on it, select Repair your computer-Troubleshoot-Refresh your PC. If that doesn't work, try Reset. Hope it helps.

Irfan
    Sunday, January 08, 2012 7:52 AM
  • It is better to reset or refresh your PC and then install all updates and then restart your PC and see if error is reproduce or not. When you want to download additional driver download and install it first and then restart your PC and see if there is blue screen or not.

A good way to troubleshoot is to install them one by one.

• Marked as answer by Exiton Sunday, January 08, 2012 5:13 PM
    Sunday, January 08, 2012 10:53 AM
  • Infrare, Cyber_Defend_Team, thank you for you replys. You gave me enough motivation to finally overcome my lazyness and to proceed systematically, though it took me plenty of time (as I was afraid it would).

Initially I was suspecting videocard driver or USB 3G modem's driver (as system failed mostly while playing flash video during internet browsing, and modem's driver is quite old (seems to be originally written for Vista)).

But after taking your advice I was quickly able to determine that the offending driver was Realtek's audiocard driver. Lucky for me WDP supports my card out-of-the-box, so I still have sound. :)

System still fails periodically, but much less frequent. Before it used to bluescreen 10 or more times a day, now I only have a couple of them and only while running DirectX 11 capable applications. Guess I'll just have to wait till AMD comes up with a better driver (currently using this one (8.88.5.4, 11/25/2011)).

On a side note: it's so nice to receive an actual advice here in English part of the forum in contrast to the Russian one, where I was politely explaned by both moderator and Microsoft MVP that I'm basically a moron for using pre-beta OS. :)

I have to go.

• Edited by Exiton Sunday, January 08, 2012 8:50 PM more typos
    Sunday, January 08, 2012 5:27 PM
  • Hi,

Dumps say like dxgmms1 has failed.

4: kd> lmvm dxgmms1

start             end                 module name

fffff880`01980000 fffff880`019ca000   dxgmms1  # (pdb symbols)          c:\symbols\dxgmms1.pdb\39F69F8766E34F8297C59AED920F6CE01\dxgmms1.pdb

Loaded symbol image file: dxgmms1.sys

Mapped memory image file: c:\symbols\dxgmms1.sys\4E5464ED4a000\dxgmms1.sys

Image path: \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\dxgmms1.sys

Ох уж эти модераторы и валюидные профессионалы...

Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...
    Sunday, January 08, 2012 7:12 PM
  • I did a little searching about "dxgmms1" and found this KB (983615) article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/983615/en-us

Seems like it might be Windows' problem, not driver.

Also judging by this article "You have a high-end computer"! Yey for me! :)

Exоtic Hadron, спасибо что показал куда копать.

• Edited by Exiton Sunday, January 08, 2012 8:41 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Exotic Hadron Sunday, January 08, 2012 9:13 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Exiton Monday, January 09, 2012 12:37 AM
    Sunday, January 08, 2012 8:40 PM
  • If possible, drop here the solution to the problem, if you happen to solve it.

Why is you post marked as abusive, I wonder? What's abusive in it? Or is me who by chance clicked the button inadvertently? If so, I beg pardon, I don't see anything abusive in your post.

Sunday, January 08, 2012 9:10 PM
  • Like Infrare and Cyber_Defend_Team adviced I reinstalled OS (well, actually they adviced performing  "Refresh", but I wasn't sure what that would do to my files so I decided I better go with the obvious :), after that I installed drivers for:

• USB 3G modem (can't have internet connection without them :) (I'm pretty sure they are "innocent" as I tried booting the system without the modem before (I think in this case drivers for it should not be loaded at all) and craches still happened)
    • OS updates
    • updated DirectX, installed DirectX 9
    • the drivers I mentioned in my previous post for the videocard
    • updated Realtek drivers for audiocard (took the package intended for Win7)
    • the drivers for motherboard (took the package intended for Win7) (without them SATA controller periodically stops the system for a minute or so, then continues as if nothing happened)
    • the drivers for USB 3.0 controller
    Each time I installed new driver or piece of software I stopped and tried to recreate the situation when the system would bluescreen on me (opened several flash clips, ran DX11 MSI Kombustor in the background...). Right after I installed sound card drivers I immediatelly hit several repeated bluescreens. I rolled back the driver to the original one that came packaged with WDP and craches dissappeared almost entirely.
    I have to go.
    • Edited by Exiton Monday, January 09, 2012 12:59 AM typos
    Monday, January 09, 2012 12:59 AM
  • Hi Exiton,

Wait a second. Why have you 'updated' the DirectX to version 9? In fact you had it downgraded from version 11 to 9. I don't think Windows had downgraded the DX without preliminary actions

Could you possibly run dxdiag at the elevated command prompt?

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 11:49 AM
  • I just used this web-installer (http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=35) to install missing DirectX 9 libraries. It is my understanding that by default WDP includes outdated version of DirectX 9. Maybe I should have written "Updated DirectX 9".
    I have to go.
    • Edited by Exiton Tuesday, January 10, 2012 12:10 PM
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 12:08 PM
  • Oh, really? Haven't noticed that. I currently have version 11 installed and I bet I didn't do anything except for WU to get this version. Sounds strange (mind Aero Glass here, does it work on old API?). But thanks for mentioning it, I didn't know that.
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 9:10 PM
  • Ta-da! I disabled integrated USB 3.0 controller in motherboard BIOS and it did the trick - not a single BSOD for three days. I should have tried doing it sooner... no idea how this relates to DirectX errors. :)

(I have Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 and would appreciate it if Microsoft did some magic to support USB 3.0 controller on this motherboard.)

I have to go.
    • Edited by Exiton Monday, January 23, 2012 5:28 PM USB 3.0
    Monday, January 23, 2012 5:20 PM