Tutorial about creating an Internet Explorer Plugin RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All:

I am trying to build a plugin/extension for internet explorer.

Searching the web I found the term "Browser Helper Object" (BHO). Is that the technical used to describe a plugin in the IE world ?

Could someone please point to some tutorial to implement a BHO.

Background about me, I am c++ developer for Unix/Linux with 10+ years of experience. But I have little experience with windows development. I have very good knowledge of the web, network protocols, scripting in java script, DOM, CSS, AJAX.

I have experience building simple addons to firefox and chrome. But now that I am turning my attention to internet explorer. I find that IE is a different beast. Creating a BHO requires compiling and registering a DLL. I just can't find any recent and up-to-date tutorials about BHO development. Any docs I was able to find is at a least a 3+ years old.

Thank you
    • Edited by BrunenG Friday, January 23, 2015 7:55 AM
    Friday, January 23, 2015 7:55 AM

Answers

• The plugin architecture hasn't changed since IE4 so the old tutorials should still work. Some changes in DOM would impact how you write BHO code (e.g. in IE 5+ you should call IHTMLDocument3::getElementById instead of IHTMLDocument2::get_all which is no longer supported in IE11). 

Visual C++ MVP

• Proposed as answer by Shu 2017 Monday, January 26, 2015 6:10 AM
    • Marked as answer by Kevin Shen Tuesday, February 3, 2015 5:15 AM
    Friday, January 23, 2015 5:54 PM