Service Orientated Architecture and Connected Services Framework RRS feed

• Question

• I am currently working on designing our Company's SOA and this will include a large wrap-up of legacy systems, new systems, support for a variety of web portals etc., synchronising of third-party software and more. At some stage (I.e. When there are accessible services in place - which could be quite a way down the track), we'll look to make those services externally available to our clients.

My question is this... I am currently looking at things like:

• Service aggregation
    • Service discovery and routing
    • Service performance metrics
    • Service usage metering
    • Potential service billing (later on)
    • Service logging and later consolidation - Both infrastructure and application-level
    • etc...

and this has lead me to begin to look to WSE 3.0/WCF and it's ability to incorporate these types of infrastructure services (not all of them) via using things like the policy filters to perform pre and post processing on the messages for logging, routing, usage etc. The reason for this is that I want our developers to concentrate on the business logic and not the infrastructure requirements of what now seems to be termed the Enterprise Services Bus.

We're a smallish in-house development team and just about everything we use has been developed in-house. I've been looking at the Connected Services Framework and this seems to implement many of the infrastructure management services that we're thinking of building ourselves (as well as a whole lot more).

I'm interested in the types of service governance models and ongoing management tools available out there. We're a MS environment and I'd certainly prefer to stick with a Microsoft solution if there is a suitable one. Is the Connected Services Framework something that would be worth considering for a large development project that is about to get off the ground with respect to developing a set of Enterprise-wide services? What are the options short of rolling your own that don't cost a fortune?

Thanks,

Eric

Tuesday, September 5, 2006 8:56 AM