3 Level Cascading Drop Down List Infopath & Sharepoint 2010 problem RRS feed

• Question

• i have been trying to create a three level cascading drop down list. 

Customer>Project of Customer>Task of Project/Customer

In SharePoint I have 5 Lists

Resources - which has a list of employees

Customer - which has a list of customers

Projects - which has a list of projects with lookup of customer name from customer list

Tasks - which is a list of tasks

Project Tasks - which has a list of project tasks with lookup of project tasks from task list. name of customer & rate of task.

So far all going good - user can select a customer which then displays the next drop down full of the projects that are attached to that customer - the problem next is that when a user selects a project a list of tasks should be displayed. They are been displayed as ID but when the form is submitted and put in the list in SharePoint it displays the task  rather than the ID that was selected.

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 1:57 PM

Answers

• Hi ,

I understand that you want to achieve three level cascaded drop down list in an InfoPath form .The task drop down list control always stores Tasks instead of ID after submitting the form to SharePoint list .

This is because when you create the Task lookup column in Time Sheet list ,you choose to look up from the Title column from the Tasks list .If you modify the lookup column to choose from ID column ,the displayed value and the stored value will all be ID .If you want to display the Title in the dropdown list control and store the ID as the value in the form ,you can add another data connection to receive data from the Task list .Then bind the dropdown list control to the new data connection .Set the display name to Title column and set the value to ID.

Thanks,

Entan Ming

Entan Ming

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Entan Ming Monday, August 6, 2012 6:23 AM
    Wednesday, August 1, 2012 7:08 AM

All replies

• Hi ,

I understand that you want to achieve three level cascaded drop down list in an InfoPath form .The task drop down list control always stores Tasks instead of ID after submitting the form to SharePoint list .

This is because when you create the Task lookup column in Time Sheet list ,you choose to look up from the Title column from the Tasks list .If you modify the lookup column to choose from ID column ,the displayed value and the stored value will all be ID .If you want to display the Title in the dropdown list control and store the ID as the value in the form ,you can add another data connection to receive data from the Task list .Then bind the dropdown list control to the new data connection .Set the display name to Title column and set the value to ID.

Thanks,

Entan Ming

Entan Ming

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Entan Ming Monday, August 6, 2012 6:23 AM
    Wednesday, August 1, 2012 7:08 AM
  • ive been trying to resolve this for two days. - this worked thank you very much
    Wednesday, August 1, 2012 7:57 AM